preparing for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOapplicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you recommed i do for the next few months to prepare for my 1st year in med school?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Congrats on your acceptance into medical school. I'm sure that you're pretty eager to get started because I know that I couldn't wait at this time last year :)
The best thing that you can do to prepare is to relax. If you're going out-of-state, do some "research" on the area you're going to be living in and attempt to familiarize yourself with your "soon-to-be" new home, try contacting a couple of your new classmates to discuss any "jitters" you might have (trust me, everyone is feeling the same way), start solidifying some good habits now (i.e. eating a well-balanced meal and finding an exercise plan) because it is easy to get sidetracked and push some of those things aside when you get really busy! Finally, spend time with family and friends, take a trip, or try something new that you might not get a chance to do during your first semester.
Don't worry...you will have time to do a lot of things while in school, but first semester requires a lot of physical, emotional and mental adjustments and it is a lot of work! Take advantage of the time you have now (put that Biochem text away...all schools start from the beginning...remember hydrogen bonds???) and just get excited about what the future might hold for you.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck and enjoy!

Julia
:p

I agree with OsteoMed02

Take it easy & enjoy yourself. Get ready to move (if you have to).

Do not study. It will not be very helpful in the long run...and you'll be spending the next 2 years studying for hours on end. Enjoy your last few months of freedom! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
DO applicant,

First let me begin by saying congrats on your acceptance. I am sure you worked very hard to get it, or you had a very rich daddy. Anyways, one of the hobbies that I would recommend for you to pick up is fly fishing. Now I know what you are thinking. You have to wake up early in the morning, go to the mountains, find a cool stream of water and spend hours manipulating your fishing pole and line in all awkward manners in order to catch a fish. BORING. That is not exactly what I am talking about. Fly fishing literally means fishing for flies. You take a small branch from a tree, tie a string to it and at the other end add a hook. Put a piece of meat or crap onto the hook and wait for a while. This is fast, and before you know it, your pet frog, Kermet, will have enough food for your whole first year in med school. Good luck!!!

Whatever you do, don't study. Instead, go earn some money or something. Apply for private scholarships. Research is great. If you can get published then that would be even better. Community service is always a good thing. These will help you in the long run when applying for residencies, scholarships, etc. Once Med school hits, all you will be able to do is study. There is not much time to work on the intangibles.

The people that tell you not to study are the Bio majors or MBS students who have already taken the undergrad or grad versions of the same classes that are given in the first year.
So if you haven't had biochem or anatomy recently it may not hurt to review it a little before you start.
Congradulations!

I disagree with Bob777. I was not a bio major or an MBS student, and I did not study at all before I started school. I have done just fine so far.

Think about it...biochemistry, for instance, is an enormous subject. Where would you even start? You will find that a lot of the things that are emphasized in undergrad are irrelevent in medical school, and reading random parts of books will be a waste of time. Typically, for medical school there are only certain things that you must learn. Without having a syllabus or lecture notes, it is virtually impossible to know what topics you should be focusing on. Plus, are you really going to remember much when it comes time to do that section in school?

Enjoy your time before school starts. Visit with family and friends, and relax. You will not have time for this sort of thing once school starts. Good luck!

MS-1
Midwestern University-CCOM

Bob,

Sorry to say, but I also disagree. I was a Psychology major with a specialization in health and humantities in undergrad and while I did take extra science courses, they were absolutely nothing compared to the ones offered in medical school. Besides, I had a lot of friends who were Bio majors and found out that they had to work just as hard as I did in order to learn the enormous amount of information.

:rolleyes:

Congrats on your acceptance :) For the love of God DO NOT STUDY ANYTHING. Spend your time doing things you enjoy, whatever they might be....go on vacation....quit your job if you are able to do so without running the risk of starving or of defaulting on your undergraduate loans.....make the most of what time you have left.....you will be studying for the rest of your life. All that being said, medical school is not a death sentence. As somebody else pointed out before, you will have time to do things other than study; the catch is that you have to make time for these things. You'll find that doing so will do wonders for both your mental and physical health. Congrats again and good luck.