Preparation for PTCB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowcat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where I live, it's impossible to get a job as a pharmacy tech (or even as a pharmacy clerk!) without being certified or going through a program. I'm currently working towards my BS, and don't have time to take the pharmacy tech courses at my community college. So right now my plan is to take the PTCB, then work as a tech - hopefully this will work!

Does anyone know where in Los Angeles the exam is usually held, and around what time? I'd just like to know in advance - because if it's around 7 am, I'd have to leave home really early to get there on time.

Also, what book should I get to prepare for it? I've heard lots of praise for Noah Reifman's book, the binder from pharmacytrainer.com, and also the books by Jahangir Moini, Manan Shroff, and Patricia Anthony. Which one should I go for? I can't (and don't want to) go out and buy all of them...

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take any courses, hadn't worked in a pharmacy, and passed my first time.
I used APhA's Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician, but there were a lot of things on the exam that weren't in there. If you haven't worked in a pharmacy, you'll miss a bunch of little legal things (like what form do you fill out for what).
My suggestions are know your drugs (common ones, what they do, brand names) and know your notations (like what does qd mean, etc.)

Quite honestly, whichever one you choose study it well and you should be fine. The test is mostly math, so if you can do well on that it leaves you open to um...underperform a bit in the other areas. Study your top 200 drugs and know names and class because there were quite a few of those questions too.

Its not a difficult test. I think like 85% of people taking it each time pass.

A friend of mine had the same problem, she just avoided the major chains. Independents are more flexible and if they don't necessarily need you you can volunteer a few hours per week for the experience