Prep work for next application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SallyS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I need some help making a decision b/c I over think things constantly.

I am a non-traditional student, working full time, and going to school full time. I did apply this rotation to 4 schools. I haven’t heard a peep out of two, but was rejected out right from my instate school. So I am assuming my chances OOS are limited…. So I am taking the higher road and assuming that those schools will also say thanks, but no thanks…

So that brings me to my current debate. I have completed all of my pre-req for all my schools. My GRE scores are average. I have been told by KSU (IS) to up my GRE scores. The Associate Dean also mentioned that any repeated pre-req’s would improve my chances b/c they would take the higher grade and not average them like MU does. Still the Dean wasn’t specific and seemed like it was an off handed comment. Still I wonder if repeating any courses that I received a C in will really help that much. Any thoughts out there? I have a C in Chemistry II and Physics II. I am focusing here on the 37 core science pre-requisites GPA. My last 45 hrs of course work is a 3.7 (was a 4.0 but I took Molecular Genetics Fall ’07, which dropped me :smuggrin:) and my 64 is a 3.2 (B's in all humanities from 10yrs ago:oops:).

To add to this mess I am finishing up a 2nd BS degree this semester. So I am enrolled in 6 classes, currently to graduate. One is Anatomy + lab and the rest are easier for a humane service interest I have. I'll pick up three minors + BS in biology if I stay the course. With the HS stuff I am focusing on the link between animals and people, specifically how helping animals helps people. Anyway… adding Chem II to this mess was what I started to-do at the start of the semester. Now it just feels like a bad idea as I am finding little time to function. I don’t have a problem with working hard but I just keep wondering if I am working hard in the wrong direction. I'm not a big fan of moving backwards.

Am I crazy to think that repeating Chem II really has a huge merit? I mean if I was an AdCom I wouldn’t be that impressed with a repeated course but what do I know :D. Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If the dean suggested retaking prerequisites that you got a low grade in, I'd do it.

If you look at the stats for KSU class of 2011 (http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admit/admit_stats.htm), you'll see that one of the GPA categories is science GPA. I'm guessing that since they show this as one of their stats, that it is weighted heavily in their admissions decision. So, while retaking chemistry or physics won't boost your cumulative GPA too much, it will certainly boost your science GPA (especially if they're taking the higher grade rather than averaging them).

I'd also call the admissions office to see if you can schedule a meeting with the dean (he's so nice!) to thoroughly go over your application.

Depending on how your GRE scores are and how much you studied for it, you might be able to raise them a lot this summer if you spent some time on it (quicker than you can raise a GPA!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts out there? I have a C in Chemistry II and Physics II. I am focusing here on the 37 core science pre-requisites GPA. My last 45 hrs of course work is a 3.7 (was a 4.0 but I took Molecular Genetics Fall ’07, which dropped me :smuggrin:) .

I could be doing my math here, but if your last 45 GPA went from a 4.0 to a 3.7 with one class you would have had to gotten a .625 GPA in that class if it were 4 credits and its not possible for it to have pulled your GPA down that much if it were a 3 credit course. Did you get a D in that course?

C's and D's in pre-req courses definitely are not going to look good, so you should definitely consider retaking them.

Just a suggestion. I know a lot of in-state people here in Colorado get a master's between application years if they are rejected the first go-round. For example, if I dont get into CSU this year :):crossing fingers that I do!!::), Im going to apply to get my MS in Biomedical Science (it's a two semester, coursewor- based Master's degree). A lot of pre-vet people here do that because it shows the admissions committee that you can take upper level science courses and do well. I dont know how other schools work (since I only applied to CSU), but I know that here they aren't hung up so much on your GPA number so much as they want to see your ability to handle upper division courses. Just my two cents!! But I'd move forward and (as long as I passed my prereqs) start taking upper division sciences. Good luck!

I could be doing my math here, but if your last 45 GPA went from a 4.0 to a 3.7 with one class you would have had to gotten a .625 GPA in that class if it were 4 credits and its not possible for it to have pulled your GPA down that much if it were a 3 credit course. Did you get a D in that course?

Sorry I should have said in-house science GPA went from a 4.0 to 3.7 with the C in MG. I only have 20 in house credit hours at my home institution. I'm a biology major so they list chemistry courses separately and they factor into my minor. Anyway just wanted to clarify that part. Also before Fall ‘07 my last three semesters I had 4.0’s and seemed to be able to balance the whole work/school deal…so last semester kind a knocked the wind out my sails so to speak and made me more gun shy this semester not to over load.

So I am just wondering how much repeating Chem II would really help? I know it couldn’t hurt but still is it worth the time/money? When compared to other application areas?

I like the master program idea and it gets to my main point. I don't see how a freshman/soph course shows that much. Where as a master program would show a lot more ability to handle the pace of Vet School.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions!

So I am just wondering how much repeating Chem II would really help? I know it couldn’t hurt but still is it worth the time/money? When compared to other application areas?

Thanks for the comments/suggestions!

I had a meeting with the director of admissions for my in-state school, Minnesota, and I am now currently re-taking general chem I because I got a C- the first time around. As a side note, the first week was made up entirely of determining sig figs and naming compounds, it's so awesome hahaha.

At the U of MN, if the class is older than three years, the new grade will take the place of the original (instead of averaging). My two lowest grades are C-'s in gen chem I and org chem I. He advised me to re-take the gen for the reason listed above but said that re-taking organic would essentially be a waste of time. I am planning on re-taking the course this summer just so I am able to apply to schools that require a C or better (MN accepts C-'s), but those were the conclusions we came to.

I like the master program idea and it gets to my main point. I don't see how a freshman/soph course shows that much. Where as a master program would show a lot more ability to handle the pace of Vet School.

I'm with you in a sense, but I guess at some point it's just a numbers game, and that's the thing you'd be addressing by re-taking a basic science course to boost the grade. I assume they're doing some automatic cut-offs before a human even looks at our info to weigh the harder to quantify stuff like difficulty of program, etc. So having better numbers, even in the easier stuff, helps you get to that more subjective point maybe. (Just my thoughts)

Take advantage of file reviews. Try to meet (usually phone interviews are available) with every school you applied to. Take all their comments into account when you decide what to do this year. Obviously put the most stock in your home school as your odds are almost certainly going to be best there.

P.S. I'm a big fan of the MS degree to show them you can handle a serious load of upper division credit... Good way to offset average GPA... And it helps you once you get into vet school too.. the experience will help you stand out if/when you apply for internships and residencies.

Take advantage of file reviews. Try to meet (usually phone interviews are available) with every school you applied to. T

What are file reviews? Are there really people in the admissions office that will go over your application if you werent accepted into the program? Thats awesome.

What are file reviews? Are there really people in the admissions office that will go over your application if you werent accepted into the program? Thats awesome.

File reviews are just that. Talking with a Admissions person who goes through your whole file, often with the help of comments written by the people who reviewed it. The purpose is to points out strengths, weaknesses, and areas to concentrate on for the next cycle.

How many hours of experience do you have? Academics are important, but if you're lacking in hands-on experience that will hurt you. You might want to consider using some of the time to get some hours in wildlife, farm animal or exotics, if you're lacking in those areas.

How many hours of experience do you have? Academics are important, but if you're lacking in hands-on experience that will hurt you. You might want to consider using some of the time to get some hours in wildlife, farm animal or exotics, if you're lacking in those areas.

I grew up on a commercial beef farm and was heavy into 4-H and all the typical farm projects. I also shadowed our local farm vet as well so I think that should cover it (maybe not). I am considering more LA hours though because I don't have much equine experience outside of owning a horse and having the vet come out for routine things. I've volunteered at a wildlife refuge for a year now and have been working at a small animal clinic part-time for almost four years. Maybe I'll try to do some exotic work as well that would be fun and better than CHEM II! You know balance the good with the bad.

Take advantage of file reviews. Try to meet (usually phone interviews are available) with every school you applied to. Take all their comments into account when you decide what to do this year. Obviously put the most stock in your home school as your odds are almost certainly going to be best there.

Thanks FlyOnTheWall. I did the file review and found out that the GRE for KSU is weighted quite a bit and didn't get a real definite on repeating CHEM II, got the line it couldn't hurt. Is that a yes or a not so much?!? This process is exhausting!

Regarding CSU... How do they look at GRE vs. GPA? I know they do the holistic review process (which I love BTW!) but do they focus on overall GPA or more of recent GPA or some combo like KSU (Science 37credits, prereq 64 credits, and last 45credits of undergrad work)?

Thanks!