Prep. in addition to Kaplan course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B Baby82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
I am planning on taking the April 2005 MCAT and will be taking a Kaplan course most likely beginning in October. I was thinking about going and buying a MCAT review book and beginning to study on my own during the summer and early fall before my class starts. Would this be a good idea or would I only be wasting my time? Have any of you done this supplemental type of studying before you took a structured prep course? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's definatly good idea but I'm afraid that you'll either 1) forget the stuff that you went over in the summer or 2) be so burn out by Januuary or March that you'll lose focus. I can honestly say I started in Oct with kaplan and really started to study in January for about 5 hours a day at first and then like 7-9 hours two months before and the last month was the hardest because you just get really tired. I know at lot of people that don't though so if you're up to it I'd say go for it. Just do the stuff you think you're bad at and don't get too detailed just general stuff you'll really learn alot with the Kaplan class and homework and stuff you do with them but it's a good idea to just go over general stuff.

B Baby82 said:
Hello-
I am planning on taking the April 2005 MCAT and will be taking a Kaplan course most likely beginning in October. I was thinking about going and buying a MCAT review book and beginning to study on my own during the summer and early fall before my class starts. Would this be a good idea or would I only be wasting my time? Have any of you done this supplemental type of studying before you took a structured prep course? Thanks.

That's exactly what I'm doing now...just brushing up and reading the comprehensive review so I know the format of the test, and to begin to reacquaint myself with the sciences, which have become rusty. Amazon.com has them dirt cheap compared to getting them straight off the shelves.

So, cursory review now to keep the material alive, maybe a diagnostic and some notes, but nothing hardcore until the review course starts.

Good luck!