Prep for Sleep Fellow-via neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookleft

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my neuro residency, and am very interested in sleep med.

How competitive is it overall and in cali?- can you get a spot if your decent or do you have to stand out?

What can I do during my residency to be best prepared, of course besides be the best resident I can be.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Starting my neuro residency, and am very interested in sleep med.

How competitive is it overall and in cali?- can you get a spot if your decent or do you have to stand out?

What can I do during my residency to be best prepared, of course besides be the best resident I can be.

Thanks

It's pretty competitive overall; I'm not sure about the specific situation in Cali.

As a resident, you should definitely do a sleep medicine elective, probably at the place you figure out you'd like to do your fellowship eventually.

Learn as much EEG as you can.

Get some exposure to ENT and pulmonology as well.

Hook up with someone involved with sleep med at your program and get into a research project at some level, whether it's in the pulm, neuro, psych or ENT area doesn't matter much -- whatever is most interesting to you. Having your name on at least one poster would be a plus.

Yes it is competitive. I will be starting at Mayo this July and cant wait!

I did an elective and just absorbed as much as I could.

I was involved in research and just presented a poster at the recent Sleep Conference.

I am a psychiatrist and that helped a lot with many patients, particularly insomnias. Dont underestimate the contributions of psychiatry in this field as Sleep is becoming heavily Behavioral oriented. If you can begin to appreciate the relative contributions of this truly multispecialty field, your maturity level and depth of what the field has to offer will be evident as you apply.

Good Luck!