Prep for SCHOLL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that you think I should prepare for this fall at Scholl? Anything you would have done earlier or different?

Thanks for your input, I am just curious if there is something that I need to prepare myself for or watch out for. I have not yet done my Fafsa this year, but was told that I would be able to take out full federal funding minus scholarship, regardless of how much I made this last year. Any good places to live in the Big Windy City? I am thinking somewhere south of RFU campus, further south than Lake Forest. (I cannot imagine the rent costs there) I did a reality search the other day for fun, I found that the average home in Lake Forest is about 4 million $$. :eek:
I looking for something affordable/safe/convenient. Prefer a suburban feel to it.

Again Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

doclm said:
Is there anything that you think I should prepare for this fall at Scholl? Anything you would have done earlier or different?

Thanks for your input, I am just curious if there is something that I need to prepare myself for or watch out for. I have not yet done my Fafsa this year, but was told that I would be able to take out full federal funding minus scholarship, regardless of how much I made this last year. Any good places to live in the Big Windy City? I am thinking somewhere south of RFU campus, further south than Lake Forest. (I cannot imagine the rent costs there) I did a reality search the other day for fun, I found that the average home in Lake Forest is about 4 million $$. :eek:
I looking for something affordable/safe/convenient. Prefer a suburban feel to it.

Again Thanks for your input.

Anyone from Scholl have advice on where to look for apts?

Also, anyone from Scholl done reseach in the CLEAR laboratory? Summer internship? I am thinking it would be pretty cool to do some biomechanics/ambulatory reseach.

One more note: Is there anyone currently in the DPM/PHD program on SDN?

doclm said:

Also, anyone from Scholl done reseach in the CLEAR laboratory? Summer internship? I am thinking it would be pretty cool to do some biomechanics/ambulatory reseach.

Sorry its taken awhile for someone to get back to you. We are pretty busy right now so its hard to check this stuff very often. I wouldn't worry too much about prepping yourself for classes other than reading through the packets they send you a few weeks before school starts. The packet is just an overview of the fundamentals you need to know in the basic biomedical sciences courses before you begin. Don't feel like you need to memorize them, but at least read through these. As for apartments, I lived on-campus my first year and my recommendation is to find something as near to campus as possible. You will basically live there anyways. Try rent.com or apartments.com or whatever and get anything that is close to the zip 60064. Thats my recommendation in a general sense. You can pm me if you have specific questions and I can try to give you an answer sometime. As far as research, don't worry about that. The first years are just now applying for summer internships in the CLEAR lab and gait lab, so you will get your turn soon enough. It appears to me the chances here to research (although I am not interested in it personally) are endless and abundant. All of my friends that have wanted an internship have received one so just worry about that when you have to. My advice is have a fun summer and get ready to study! Later

Members don't see this ad :)
MurrayButler said:
Sorry its taken awhile for someone to get back to you. We are pretty busy right now so its hard to check this stuff very often. I wouldn't worry too much about prepping yourself for classes other than reading through the packets they send you a few weeks before school starts. The packet is just an overview of the fundamentals you need to know in the basic biomedical sciences courses before you begin. Don't feel like you need to memorize them, but at least read through these. As for apartments, I lived on-campus my first year and my recommendation is to find something as near to campus as possible. You will basically live there anyways. Try rent.com or apartments.com or whatever and get anything that is close to the zip 60064. Thats my recommendation in a general sense. You can pm me if you have specific questions and I can try to give you an answer sometime. As far as research, don't worry about that. The first years are just now applying for summer internships in the CLEAR lab and gait lab, so you will get your turn soon enough. It appears to me the chances here to research (although I am not interested in it personally) are endless and abundant. All of my friends that have wanted an internship have received one so just worry about that when you have to. My advice is have a fun summer and get ready to study! Later

Thanks for your reply :thumbup:

What year are you in?

doclm said:

I live in the Woodlands and I love it. I share a 2 BR/ 2 bath apt with a roomie and we each pay $495/mo in rent. It is as close to campus as on-campus housing and manages to escape having that dormlike feel. And contrary to popular belief, they are NOT being converted into condos.

IF you majored in biological sciences you should be prepared. I DIDN't major in the life sciences and am now paying the price. I also left undergrad without finishing my bachelors -and am at 21 the youngest in the first year class. Bad idea!

JustMyLuck said:
I live in the Woodlands and I love it. I share a 2 BR/ 2 bath apt with a roomie and we each pay $495/mo in rent. It is as close to campus as on-campus housing and manages to escape having that dormlike feel. And contrary to popular belief, they are NOT being converted into condos.

IF you majored in biological sciences you should be prepared. I DIDN't major in the life sciences and am now paying the price. I also left undergrad without finishing my bachelors -and am at 21 the youngest in the first year class. Bad idea!

Hey,

What is usually the average age of applicants that are attending first year at Scholl? I wish I was 21 again. Now being 26, I feel that I spent way too long completing my undergrad and wasting 2 yrs working.

You will be my age when your in your residency.

Anyway, I think I can master anything that is Biological, hopefully that is a good thing. Memorization is really my strong point, I have been able to get a 98% in Anatomy, Physiology, and Micro. However, I am not the fastest reader in the world. How many hours per day does the average Scholl student study?

One more question, does that Interstate Highway that goes from Lake Bluff all the way down to Lombard IL, get congested in the day? Or is it just like any other HW? Are there some students that live 10-20 miles south so they can live in a better/ cheaper area?

Thanks a lot for your input. :thumbup:

doclm said:
Hey,

What is usually the average age of applicants that are attending first year at Scholl? I wish I was 21 again. Now being 26, I feel that I spent way too long completing my undergrad and wasting 2 yrs working.

You will be my age when your in your residency.

Anyway, I think I can master anything that is Biological, hopefully that is a good thing. Memorization is really my strong point, I have been able to get a 98% in Anatomy, Physiology, and Micro. However, I am not the fastest reader in the world. How many hours per day does the average Scholl student study?

One more question, does that Interstate Highway that goes from Lake Bluff all the way down to Lombard IL, get congested in the day? Or is it just like any other HW? Are there some students that live 10-20 miles south so they can live in a better/ cheaper area?

Thanks a lot for your input. :thumbup:

I don't think its ever a bad thing to have a few more years of experience and wisdom under your belt before entering ANY professional school. And with grades like that in biomedical type classes? You'll do great at Scholl! ;)