Premier Review Old or New?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, silly question really - but does anyone know how different the old (by 3 months) Premier Review notes are from the most recent? The site claims medicine is constantly changing and the newest set contains updates - but I am wondering how many updates can there really be? There's a difference of $200 - which is a LARGE fortune for me at this point. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, silly question really - but does anyone know how different the old (by 3 months) Premier Review notes are from the most recent? The site claims medicine is constantly changing and the newest set contains updates - but I am wondering how many updates can there really be? There's a difference of $200 - which is a LARGE fortune for me at this point. Any opinions?

that is just a business strategy. There is no difference except for a difference in price. Even new MKSAP does not have many updates ...medicine has not changed so much in a year to influence step 3 as a whole :)

stick with master the boards, kaplan notes, archer review, UW q bank and ccs ..personally, i found these very good

that is just a business strategy. There is no difference except for a difference in price. Even new MKSAP does not have many updates ...medicine has not changed so much in a year to influence step 3 as a whole :)
I figured as much - thanks :D.

Members don't see this ad :)

I must put forward one point that I studied premiere review latest edition for my exam,and it did contain the information which could not be found in any other resource for step-3.I loved to study these notes,but in my exam I was not tested on this latest and interesting information at all.
I used it as my main study material.Though I passed the exam on first attempt ,but I could not score very highly.So, I think it is better to use some other exam oriented material for step-3 rather than getting fascinated by the latest and interesting information contained in the premiere review notes.This is especially true for those who want to score highly on Step-3.
Good Luck.

Hi winner123,

am I looking to just pass exam

so is using premier review notes and uw q-bank enough?

Hi winner123,

am I looking to just pass exam

so is using premier review notes and uw q-bank enough?

I have heard lots of good things about the new book "Master the Boards".
Go for it.Use First Aid as well.Use U World Q Bank,and if u have time choose one between the new 2009 Kaplan Step-3 and Premiere Review Notes.
By the way ,when did u take yur step-2CK?If u took it recently then u will need to study lesser for step-3.

Good Luck.

I took step 2ck in Oct.2007

I am going over PR May 2009 notes (went to their live review) and I already went over IM sections in Master of Boards book.

For OB/GYN---went over my Kaplan CK notes & PR 2009 notes

For Peds--Did half of Kaplan CK notes so far & did Health Maintenance, Vaccination stuff from PR 2009 notes

Surgery havent done yet

Psych. havent done yet

I have Swansons---so will do those questions (esp. Peds, womens health, Emergency, sports med., and health info. stuff).....if have time will do adult med. section

Did 50% of UW...(heard peds questions not good??)

I have Kaplan Q-book---will do those q's instead of Kaplan Q-bank

you think thats a good prep plan??:confused:

So much to do :scared:

But prep wise....doing good on going over prep stuff with MTB & PR & CK (Peds, Ob/gyn)

Need to start doing more questions....

I took step 2ck in Oct.2007

I am going over PR May 2009 notes (went to their live review) and I already went over IM sections in Master of Boards book.

For OB/GYN---went over my Kaplan CK notes & PR 2009 notes

For Peds--Did half of Kaplan CK notes so far & did Health Maintenance, Vaccination stuff from PR 2009 notes

Surgery havent done yet

Psych. havent done yet

I have Swansons---so will do those questions (esp. Peds, womens health, Emergency, sports med., and health info. stuff).....if have time will do adult med. section

Did 50% of UW...(heard peds questions not good??)

I have Kaplan Q-book---will do those q's instead of Kaplan Q-bank

you think thats a good prep plan??:confused:

So much to do :scared:

But prep wise....doing good on going over prep stuff with MTB & PR & CK (Peds, Ob/gyn)

Need to start doing more questions....

Sounds like a reasonable plan but word of caution, I did not read anything in your passage about prepping for the Step 3 CCS portion of the exam. This is very important. Most people who have taken the exam said that there near passing was mainly attributed to not preparing appropriately for the ccs part. Goes the same with folks that scored high on the Step 3 exam. Those who prepare for the CCS adequately tend to pass this exam on the first attempt or even score much higher than expected. Remember, CCS is 25% of your total exam time and 20% of your total score. Take it seriously! Good luck with your exam. Hope this advice helps you. :luck:

yea alloted more time to MCQ's

But will give 3 weeks of serioius study for CCS portion...by doing UW CCS as my sole source

Thanks for advice :)

i got PR stuff for sale from spring 2008
stuff is great, i passd, finally. let me know

If you could please elaborate, How many times did you read PR and what other sources did you use? Also, How did you score on the actual exam vs the various q-banks you used? Any help would definitely benefit others out here. Thank you for any contributions you may feel to share. :)