Premed: Ohio State Univ vs Rice vs Vanderbilt

not_real_name

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I needed your help on selecting undergrad school for premed track. The choices are as follows -

1. Ohio State University - Have full ride here, including tuition, lodging, boarding, etc. Total cost: $0/year for 4 years.
2. Rice - Have partial scholarship. Total cost: $50K/year for 4 years
3. Vanderbilt - Have partial scholarship. Total cost: $35K/year for 4 years

My comments:
1. Rice: I have visited all three and like Rice campus and student vibe the most. But it is also the most expensive! I am highly interested in neighboring Baylor College of Medicine, and I was told that Baylor loves Rice and that most Rice pre-meds who wish to go to Baylor end up doing so. Not sure how true this is, but if it is, then it would be strong factor to go the Rice route and end up paying significantly for undergrad. On the other hand Baylor does have below average tuition for a top 20 med. school, so that would help financially if I could get admitted there. It gets confusing! What are people's thoughts? Any Rice premed who can chime in here? Their premed acceptance rate for medical college is 90%.

2. Vanderbilt: I did not like the campus a lot, but did not dislike it either. I am told it has strong premed program. It is closer to home, so that is a big plus, from a family support perspective. In general, I hear a lot of good things about Vanderbilt and Nashville, and it is also cheaper than Rice. But at the same time, not sure if their Commons dorm system for freshmen is as good as the residential dorm system at Rice. Their premed acceptance rateis 66%, which at first glance seems low, but could be suspect depending on how they filter (or perhaps do not filter!) their premeds.

3. Ohio State: Total cost of attendance is lowest of all three. Also, closer to home, so again a big plus. Not sure how good their premed program or premed advising is. Feels like this place would perhaps be relatively easier to earn high cGPA/sGPA compared to Rice or Vandy due to larger class size, but then I also hear that grade deflation might be an issue. Also I read on the forums here that going to a state school for undergrad might open up state medical college doors but not as many doors in top 20 private schools. Getting out of college at zero cost with zero debt feels awesome, but then am concerned if I am giving up on long term and future opportunities by turning down prestigious and hard earned admissions to highly selective schools at Rice and Vandy.

Please let me know your thoughts, advice, guidance, comments... Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the full free ride...all day...every day! Ohio St is a fine school!

And as for those acceptance rates...those percentages do not include those who came in as pre-med and didn't make it to the end as pre-med, for whatever reason. Also, keep in mind many schools only count those who the schools pre-med committee feels are good enough to give a committee letter to...which practically guarantees a high acceptance rate on paper. Not sure if Rice and Vandy do this, but just know it is common practice at many schools.