Premed committee late thank you letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st3ady

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

This has been sitting on my mind for a while, thought I would ask for some advice. I had my postbac premed committee interview last May when I completed the program (informally!) and I think the interview went pretty well. They tried to sway me towards applying to DO schools and told me I should try to contact a DO doctor to shadow. I told them I would and was planning on writing quick thank you letters to each of the 3 professors soon after. I wanted to write that I had contacted a DO doctor to follow but I haven't yet. I worked at a computer camp over the summer and have since taken a job as a valet, and have been studying for the mcat whenever I can.
So is it a lost cause to write thank you letters for the interview which happened 4 months ago? I was thinking I would just write thank you letters after the application process is over and when I get in (hopefully!).

Right now I am getting ready to retake Kaplan and get prepared to kick ass on the January 30th or 31st MCAT exam. I have also been volunteering at the ER every Sunday. Any other things I should be doing?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience in life, better late than never is always true. This is obviously weighing on your mind. Write the thank you notes ASAP, and then you will be able to focus even better on the MCAT.

I'm not sure you need to do this at all. I don't know what the custom is at your school, but at mine (well-known private university in the Northeast), I think the students generally write thank-you's only for individual faculty letters, not for the committee letter.

If you still want to do this, though, go ahead. However, it seems that you're going to be applying next cycle (given the Jan MCAT); are they writing your letter now, or waiting until next year to do so? If the latter, it might be better to send them a combination thank-you/ "update letter" next spring right before they're going to prepare your committee letter. It will remind them who you are and what you've been doing, which they can potentially work into the letter.

In terms of other stuff, I'd definitely get in as much volunteer experience as you can--more than one day a week if possible, especially once you've gotten the MCAT out of the way. (At that point, you should put in as much time as possible to show how serious you are about this.)