Preliminary year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikitha Raj

Reaction score
Hey everyone... I am an international medical graduate... Planning to apply for next match. In the interim I would like to apply for preliminary residency position in the department of general surgery. Can someone give me some insights on how to proceed??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone... I am an international medical graduate... Planning to apply for next match. In the interim I would like to apply for preliminary residency position in the department of general surgery. Can someone give me some insights on how to proceed??
That too goes through the Match. You can register for the Match by submitting an ERAS application and applying to at least one program. Since this is the end of the application cycle, you won't get any interviews, but you'll be eligible for the SOAP which usually has plenty of prelim GS programs.

Of course, the much bigger issue is, if you are able to secure a GS prelim year for next year, that will likely leave you time to interview at only a handful of programs (5 or 6) since you'll be working 80+ hours a week next year. You'd be much better off finding something else to do this coming year which would allow you maximum flexibility during interview season (Nov - Feb).

Reactions: 1 users
That too goes through the Match. You can register for the Match by submitting an ERAS application and applying to at least one program. Since this is the end of the application cycle, you won't get any interviews, but you'll be eligible for the SOAP which usually has plenty of prelim GS programs.

Of course, the much bigger issue is, if you are able to secure a GS prelim year for next year, that will likely leave you time to interview at only a handful of programs (5 or 6) since you'll be working 80+ hours a week next year. You'd be much better off finding something else to do this coming year which would allow you maximum flexibility during interview season (Nov - Feb).
Thank you so much for the info!!

I agree with gutonc, GS is a malignant and extremely busy Prelim, remember you will be rotating the places that the programs dont want their categorical residents to be in. hours are crazy and probably the most downside is what to do after, Surg internship will limit you to Anesthesia, GS, PM&R, and other surgical subspecialties (Ortho, ENT, Plastic) which are semi impossible for an IMG. Medical programs wont like to have a GS experienced resident in their team for some reason!
the only reason to take prelim GS (assuming you dont want General Surgery eventually) will be if nothing else is offered. I would try transitional first, then IM prelim before GS prelim.
Good luck.