Prelim Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2muchplanning

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon me if this has already been addressed.

I was doing a little research on residency programs in Radiology and as I understand it most (if not all) require a prelim year either translational OR in a clinical department. I was wondering how, as a medical student, you coordinate where you do this transitional year and where you do your Radiology Residency.
Do you apply to both simultaneously (and independantly)?
Do you apply to the Radiology residency after the prelim year?
Do you match with the residency program and then work out the first year with them?

As you can see, as a pre-clinical med student, I'm a little confused (and wet behind the ears).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It has been addressed.

'Yes' to the first statement.
'Maybe' to the second statement. If you don't match the first time around you can apply during your prelim year for a spot begining in 2 years. You'll have an extra year to kill, unless you are lucky enough to get a spot outside the match.
'Sort of' to the last statement. Some programs are 5 years long, integrating the internship into the residency.

Do your homework.
Good luck. :luck:

2muchplanning said:
Pardon me if this has already been addressed.

I was doing a little research on residency programs in Radiology and as I understand it most (if not all) require a prelim year either translational OR in a clinical department. I was wondering how, as a medical student, you coordinate where you do this transitional year and where you do your Radiology Residency.

The clinical year is mandatory. Plus, for the clinical year, you don't have to do a transitional year. You can also do preliminary medicine or preliminary surgery. And you would be surprised how many actually chose not to go the easy route, i.e. transitional year. In my residency, roughly 25% have done surgery, 25% transitional, and 50% medicine.

2muchplanning said:
Do you apply to both simultaneously (and independantly)?
Do you apply to the Radiology residency after the prelim year?
Do you match with the residency program and then work out the first year with them?

A minority of programs offer the clinical year if someone matches at their programs. For the majority of program, you have to apply to the clinical year and radiology program separately and simultaneously and not necessarily at the same place. Generally, you match for both the clinical year (which you start in about three months after the match results are in) and the radiology program (which you start in about one year and three months after the match results are in) at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it fascinating that medical students, even pre-clinical ones, don't understand how residency apps, program types, etc. work. You and all other MSI - MSIIIs need to be pro-active and learn about this stuff so you are prepared. If you haven't gotten it and read it, you need to.....Iserson's Guide to Getting a Residency. Being prepared will make things a lot easier on you in the future.

Vince said:
I find it fascinating that medical students, even pre-clinical ones, don't understand how residency apps, program types, etc. work. You and all other MSI - MSIIIs need to be pro-active and learn about this stuff so you are prepared. If you haven't gotten it and read it, you need to.....Iserson's Guide to Getting a Residency. Being prepared will make things a lot easier on you in the future.

Isn't that why he asked? :p