Prelim year question-can you stay in prelim field if dont match to derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, second year med student just thinking ahead...
When i apply for the prelim year in internal med, etc. do you apply for the pgy-2 derm programs at the same time? or do you apply during the prelim year?
Also, if you dont match into derm can you continue on with the residency in internal med/whatever the prelim field is, or is this not guaranteed?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, second year med student just thinking ahead...
When i apply for the prelim year in internal med, etc. do you apply for the pgy-2 derm programs at the same time? or do you apply during the prelim year?
Also, if you dont match into derm can you continue on with the residency in internal med/whatever the prelim field is, or is this not guaranteed?
Thanks!

I can answer one of your questions. You apply for a Prelim year and an advanced (PGY-2) Dermatology position at the same time.

Note, that there are a small percentage of categorical derm programs which means the internship year is included at the same hospital. It is still the same amount of total years/training though. It just guarantees you not having to move twice. :D

The prelim program is not obligated to keep you beyond PGY-1, but if they like you it is not unheard of for them to make an extra spot for you to continue as a categorical.

The prelim program is not obligated to keep you beyond PGY-1, but if they like you it is not unheard of for them to make an extra spot for you to continue as a categorical.

This is true - but it highly depends on the program and the individual situation. Many programs simply don't have the space or the openings. I would certainly not count on this happening.