Pregnancy leave while in vet school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knockedupvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first time posting on something like this. I have read through all of the other threads about pregnancy and vet school, but no one has really addressed the question of how much time they plan on taking off after giving birth. I am due in early November and I will be attending MSUCVM. I am considering just deferring my admission for a year, but I really wish to avoid doing that. If I have the baby and have to take excessive time out of school, they will force me to do the semester over again. I would hate to get most of the way done with my first semester of vet school and take leave and be forced to retake the semester. Maybe it is better I just assume that will happen and as such take the year off? I have been told by numerous people that there is no way to be fair to a newborn and be in vet school. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience giving birth during the semester? How much time did you take off? Do you recommend deferring admission for a year? Thanks for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any experience with this personally, but I know that there are a couple of pregnant students in the 4th year at our school, and one 4th year had a baby late this fall. Obviously the situation varies for everyone, and I don't know how much time this student took off as I don't know her very well (maybe she made sure her breaks during clinics were around her dute date?), but people do it. I've only known 4th years that were pregnant though, nobody who's in lecture all day. Sorry I can't give you more details.

I am at Mississippi State (not sure if that is the MSU you will be attending or Michigan State). We have had two ladies in my current class give birth during the semester. They both took as little time off as possible (less than a week of class). It will be difficult to make much more of that up. All of the instructors were very helpful about providing materials and rearranging tests, but there is just so much material coming at you.
My wife is pregnant and due in September. If you are coming to Mississippi State, I would suggest bringing a support system. If you have a signifigant other or if a parent would be willing to come help out for a few months. Also, day cares in this area tend to have a long waiting list and I would get on one now.
Vet school is hard, but it will provide great opportunities for you to be able to take care of your future little one. The decisions are yours to make, but I would carefully consider what you would do in a year with a one year old while in vet school (we have a mother of one of those too).
Good luck. Congratulations on getting in, and on your pregnancy. Both are tremendously great blessings.

Michael

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just an opinion and isn't based on anything in particular, but I think that if I were in your shoes (I'm not) that I would want to defer and take some time to get things settled before diving in to one of the most stressful times of my life. It's really hard to predict how you will handle a pregnancy (both in body and in mind, if that makes sense) so I wouldn't want to risk the tuition for a semester if I didn't have to. Plus, it would be nice to have those 9 months after you give birth to get used to having a baby, to get through the late night feedings, and just to bond with the child.

Again, no kids and not accepted to vet school yet. So, just food for thought!

I don't have experience with children in vet school, but there is a pregnant woman in my class (I am a first year) and I can honestly say I don't know how she is going to do it, unless she is due in the summer. I would strongly consider deferring. It's one thing to have a small child (several others in our class do) but it's another to have a newborn involved. Even if you took the least amount of time off as you could to give birth to the baby, you are still going to be taking care of the child constantly when you're away from school. Not saying you aren't or won't be wholeheartedly committed to vet school, but this situation presents a non-negotiable type of commitment. Even if you had a significant other or some support system, you'll still be the mom and ultimately the most important figure in the equation, at least during the first few months. If deferment is possible, I think that would be great. Yea it's another year, but 5 years from now you won't be focusing on that, because you will still be at your end goal. I could much more easily justify an extra year off than live a lifetime regretting not taking more time to be with my child.

I'd also recommend deferring. One of my classmates got accepted for the previous years class but was due mid 1st semester. We've talked about it several times and she felt that there was no way she would have been able to come back quickly, and was glad to have the extra time.

That being said, several students in the classes above us have had pregnancies due in the middle of the semester and came back within a week. They don't seem to regret the choice, and have dealt with it(most of them with a good local support system....husbands/parents/friends/etc).

I would definitely talk to the admin office and make sure you know all your options about deferring, coming back immediately, or taking leave and potentially repeating the semester. Beyond that, it really seems to be a personal choice.

That being said, several students in the classes above us have had pregnancies due in the middle of the semester and came back within a week. They don't seem to regret the choice, and have dealt with it(most of them with a good local support system....husbands/parents/friends/etc).

As a second or third year student, you are much more adjusted to the rigors and stresses of vet school. First year vet students usually take at least a semester to settle into the groove of vet school and figure it all out (hell I'm still trying to get it just right), which would be much more difficult to do while caring for a newborn, versus a 2nd or 3rd year who knows what to expect and has some extra experience with the rigors and time consumption of this pursuit. No task of raising a child during any year of vet school would be easy, but upper level years would probably be more manageable since you know what to expect as a student.

I'd defer. You've never been a mom before and you've never been a vet student before. Since you have the option to get the hang of the whole mom thing before starting vet school, it would be a good idea to take that opportunity. It will let you be a better mom *and* a better student.

Before you make any decisions, double check on the insurance thing. Most private insurances require you to buy a maternity rider long before your even pregnant.

I was about to begin the application process when I found out I was having our daughter and I ended up waiting to submit my application. I really appreciate having that time with her, especially before all the first year craziness. But I totally understand wanting to get in and get started. Everyone seems to know someone that had a child (or children) while in school and they all survived.

This will depend on you and your school.

I know in previous years (not my class) we have had student take as little as 48 hours to about 2 wks before returning regularly to classes.

I know at least one student who was glad she continued because she said she learned better at home than in classes and pregnancy/infancy justified not being in class (now we have lecture capture to help with that) and her baby was generally quiet and slept a lot, and when he was fussing, it was for nursing, which she was able to do while studying. she did say pregnancy/new mom brain was horrendous. when she returned to classes, she only came in for labs and one class that she felt lecture was important for. her family was in the area.

I think support system will have a lot to do with this. if you have none, it can be very difficult to find baby sitters for newborns.

you might also see what your school would be willing to do...will they let you extend your own exams out into winter break? do they have facilities if you plan to pump? how hard will it be to do labs and such while pregnant (I know here they require pregnant women to use protective gear in anatomy to prevent inhalation of preservatives.)

Also, women differ in how pregnancy impacts them. some women are at their very best while pregnant and in the couple months after, others are horribly sick and uncomfortable. some women feel ill just seeing meat while pregnant....I can't imagine how their reaction to a cadaver would be.

if you do go through with it, start addressing all the challenges now. you want to have back up plans for your back up plans, and all necessities in place as far ahead as possible. lastly, consider how you will feel if the worst happens; if you miscarry/stillbirth, will you be ok with the decisions you made up to that point? some women will have a 'what if' reaction (what if I hadn't breathed the anatomy lab fumes? what if I hadn't been on my feet all the time?) while others have a 'it would have happpened anyways' reaction. I say this part from personal experience.....it is important to know yourself (and your partner) enough to know if you take any additional risks, will you wonder about those risks later?

I'd also recommend deferring. One of my classmates got accepted for the previous years class but was due mid 1st semester. We've talked about it several times and she felt that there was no way she would have been able to come back quickly, and was glad to have the extra time.

I would definitely talk to the admin office and make sure you know all your options about deferring, coming back immediately, or taking leave and potentially repeating the semester. Beyond that, it really seems to be a personal choice.

I believe the pregnancies in our class were due at the end of second semester, right around the time of finals. Yikes! The administration was really good at working with the students, to the point where finals could be taken at a later date if they went into labor during finals week. The pregnant students did have to take extra safety precautions during anatomy lab, and the professors were more than willing to work around any limitations the students had.

I second talking to the administration before making any decisions. Find out how flexible they will be with regards to any needs you might have due to pregnancy (rearranging test dates, missing labs or other required activities), what kind of support system will be available (both through the school, in the community, and at home), any and all options available (deferment, medical leave after starting the semester, etc.), and even what they recommend that you do.

This is not a decision to be made lightly (I'm sure you know this), and it's really important to get as much information as you can. Good luck, and congratulations!

I believe the pregnancies in our class were due at the end of second semester, right around the time of finals. Yikes! The administration was really good at working with the students, to the point where finals could be taken at a later date if they went into labor during finals week. The pregnant students did have to take extra safety precautions during anatomy lab, and the professors were more than willing to work around any limitations the students had.

I second talking to the administration before making any decisions. Find out how flexible they will be with regards to any needs you might have due to pregnancy (rearranging test dates, missing labs or other required activities), what kind of support system will be available (both through the school, in the community, and at home), any and all options available (deferment, medical leave after starting the semester, etc.), and even what they recommend that you do.

This is not a decision to be made lightly (I'm sure you know this), and it's really important to get as much information as you can. Good luck, and congratulations!

Thanks for the input! The hubs and I are actually crazy enough to consider trying to time things for being due after next school year's finals. Just from the quick chat with admin it does seem like UTK at least is pretty cool about making it work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really recommend deferring.
My friend from my class started first semester with a 4 month old baby and failed 3/5 classes. She is going to have to re-start with 2015 anyway and now she has the failures on her record, and a lot of sleepless nights and missed time with the baby for nothing. Having a young baby and starting vet school are two of the hardest things you will do with your life so I recommend doing them one at a time :)

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet....

If your school requires first years to have Rabies vaccinations or if you need any other vaccinations to start school, theres a good chance you will not be able to get them while you are pregnant.

Also, if you have dissection anatomy as a first year, it's also possible your dr will recommend against that.

Good luck and congratulations!

Honestly, I'd defer.

Savethewhales brings up good points. While you'd be able to post-pone the rabies vax at MSU anatomy could be a problem. The fumes are outrageous in that room ... both semesters. I, personally, would not want to expose my baby to them and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to.

There's a girl in my class who had a baby the summer before vet school and she is doing great (as far as I know) ... but she has a huge support system (husband, family etc.) and the key being the baby was born the July before school started. Another guy's wife had a baby last semester, but the differences there are kind of obvious. A fourth year just had a baby and is taking time off of clinics and going to extend clinics past "graduation" to make up for it.

Talk openly to the school about it. They'll provide you with examples etc. But definately talk to more than one person ... some people have very polarized opinions!

Honestly school is too expensive to chance wasting a semester's worth of tuition because you had to drop out and recycle.... IMHO

Still going with this is a very personal decision.

for anatomy, there are respirator packs. supposedly if you are pregnant or breast feeding here and in anatomy, its required gear. Just so you know. so you know all the options.

Now I am not saying what anyone should decide. heck, I don't even know what I would have decided, and I have age going against me

I am not really sure what Michigan State's policy is with regard to vaccination programs. I am already neurotic enough so I am not really sure how will I will handle an anatomy lab where I am exposed to fumes hazardous for the baby. I am really leaning towards deferring as it would be best for the baby and honestly what will it really hurt to take a year off.

Are you under 26? If so, you should be able to stay on your dad's insurance regardless of your independence status, your college attendance, or where you live.

As far as vaccination, call up and ask, and ask if medical excpetions are accepted. I noted above there are options for anatomy. I'm only sharing this because I believe you should no the options and potential precaution.

Given the statement about being neurotic though (which I completly understand) I would encourage you to defer. No matter what, it will be stressful, and you don't want to have any doubts about what does/doesn't impact your pregnancy/child.

As for moving, you may want to go ahead and do that now (especially if SO has a job lined up) in prep for next year. Or you might want to stay where you have family support.

No matter what, it is you and your SO's decision.

I am under 26 and I just called Blue Cross and they said that I should be able to stay on my dads insurance even if I am not in school, but it depends on the coverage? I dont know, they were cryptic.

I have a "Welcome Day" tomorrow so I will write a list of questions and ask a bunch of the people there.

I actually live in East Lansing right now and would have to move back home to be with my family. Or my boyfriend could move up here and we would be about an 1.5 hours from my family. My mom offered to let me and my boyfriend move into her house, but I would hate to put her out. Do you think my boyfriend and I should just stay in East Lansing whether or not I am going to school because I will have to move up here for next year anyway? Or would it be better to move home for the year?

Having a child changes everything. Everyone says that, but I am beginning to realize now what they meant.

I have first-hand experience on this particular topic, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions on how the whole vet school + pregnancy thing is working out. I can only give you my personal perspective obviously, but it's something!

That being said, I would NOT have wanted to do this first year. All those fumes in anatomy lab would have made me super nervous. Plus the fact that I found first year to be emotionally exhausting. Adjusting to a new place, a new life, new people, and new curriculum wasn't easy. Even though the pace of school is just as fast and furious, I am much more relaxed as a second-year student.

We did have a student in our class have a baby during first year in March. She completed the first two quarters, but then she ended up defering and continuing with the class below us. I believe things are going well for her.

With all the issues you are having, plus being due in the middle of the semester... I would probably defer if it were possible. You may be able to make it work either way, but that's just what I would do if I were in your situation.

It's important to understand that combining pregnancy + vet school means that you are taking a huge gamble. You could have an easy pregnancy, an uncomplicated birth, deliver exactly on schedule, and have a healthy child that sleeps through the night relatively early..... or, you could not. I personally rolled the dice, but I did it with the knowledge that things could go wrong, and I planned everything around summer break. I hope to graduate on time, but I may not. So far, so good.

I just feel that you'll be increasing your odds of success with deferrment.

Now that I have the negativity out of the way, I fully believe it's possible to be a good vet student and a good mom. It won't be easy, but you can do it!

Oh, and Congratulations! :love:

Last edited:
I am almost 100% sure that not having your rabies vaccine as a first year will NOT be a problem. We need them before clinics (year 3 semester 2), but I think you can get away without them before that, just FYI, but you should find out for sure at welcome day.

Welcome by the way!

I actually live in East Lansing right now and would have to move back home to be with my family. Or my boyfriend could move up here and we would be about an 1.5 hours from my family. My mom offered to let me and my boyfriend move into her house, but I would hate to put her out. Do you think my boyfriend and I should just stay in East Lansing whether or not I am going to school because I will have to move up here for next year anyway? Or would it be better to move home for the year?

this will depend on a lot of things. how independent you are, how much help you want, how helpful your family is, etc.

I have friends who would move their parents in no matter when/where/how they had kids. and I have friends who live in other countries to avoid even having to deal with their parents.

Do you have a support system where you are at? friends that can help if you need it? Will be home be more or less stressful?

if your dad has the paperwork on his insurance, get a copy now, and start reading it. it may not include pregnancy coverage, but I'd want the paperwork in hand, easier to have the discussion if you know the text.

I am almost 100% sure that not having your rabies vaccine as a first year will NOT be a problem. We need them before clinics (year 3 semester 2), but I think you can get away without them before that, just FYI, but you should find out for sure at welcome day.

Don't be so sure. For KSU, we absolutely had to have our rabies vax by the first week of classes, and I remember a big thread on here last summer with people from many different schools all in a panic scrambling to try and get their vax, which can cost around $700 w/out insurance. Schools should be sending out that info in acceptance packets this spring, but I would plan on needing the vax to start classes.

I am really leaning towards deferring as it would be best for the baby and honestly what will it really hurt to take a year off.

You've got your answer right there. Yeah, maybe you *could* do preg + childbirth + first year vet school simultaneously, it has been done before, but why would you want to? Even best of circumstances, it would be impossible to give your all to each of those very demanding things. And if things don't go smoothly - which is probably more likely - you could be setting yourself up for a lot of misery. You don't have to be Superwoman. Defer, let someone else have your seat, and focus on the baby and getting that part of your life off to a good start.

Don't be so sure. For KSU, we absolutely had to have our rabies vax by the first week of classes, and I remember a big thread on here last summer with people from many different schools all in a panic scrambling to try and get their vax, which can cost around $700 w/out insurance. Schools should be sending out that info in acceptance packets this spring, but I would plan on needing the vax to start classes.

I only said that because I am a Michigan state student myself and we had a big discussion in our class last year (when we were first years) about whether or not we HAD to have the vaccine. I'd had a post exposure series and a titre check prior to vet school so I was out of the direct discussion, but I remembered that being the general consensus. But things very well may have changed!

I have a pretty good support system at home and I would be comfortable moving back. If I stayed at MSU it would most likely just be my boyfriend and I.

I am not sure how I feel about getting vaccinated while pregnant. I also do not think I would want to expose my baby to the anatomy lab fumes, even while wearing a respirator. I talked to an advisor who told me that they may not even allow me in the anatomy lab while pregnant. So going to school may not even be possible until after the baby is born. She also told me that it is hard to give specifics about the kind of accommodations that can be made because each pregnancy, labor, and etc are so different. I think it really depends on the professors too.

It is really starting to seem like I may not really have much of a choice in the matter. I also really want to get a surgical internship/residency once I am done with school, which requires ridiculous grades. As long as my insurance company will cover me; I will probably defer.

Thanks everyone!! :)

I am not sure how I feel about getting vaccinated while pregnant. I also do not think I would want to expose my baby to the anatomy lab fumes, even while wearing a respirator. I talked to an advisor who told me that they may not even allow me in the anatomy lab while pregnant. So going to school may not even be possible until after the baby is born. She also told me that it is hard to give specifics about the kind of accommodations that can be made because each pregnancy, labor, and etc are so different. I think it really depends on the professors too. It is really starting to seem like I may not really have much of a choice in the matter.

How YOU and your SO feel about it is the most important thing. After that, it's about finding an ob/gyn that will support your decisions and help you find accomodations (and some ob/gyn's won't, while others would have minimal concerns and not necessarily help you find the best accomodations.) But, I wouldn't have the battle on accomodations unless you are really comfortable with pursueing that path....and it sounds like you are leaning the other way (and that isn't a bad thing, you need to do what is best for you and your SO and your baby.) each pregnancy and labor is different, and to me that is the biggest reason to defer; you could have a great pregnancy, and have everything go right, and it will still be very challenging. but just one thing not going so great could also create a domino affect.

No matter what you do, be proactive. You are the best judge of what is good for you. Read your insurance info, so you get accurate information when you ask questions, get your early prenatal care.

One option to consider, that I know has happened at here, is dividing the year. I don't know whether your school would do that, but I know it has been done here for some students, so that they are taking part of their classes during pregnancy, then the other half during the next year. it means 5 years of vet school, but was a really good option for one of my friends. But if you want to spend this time focused on pregnancy and starting your family, that is a great way to spend your time.

Sorry, I know I'm parading lots of options out there. I'm just a really strong believer that you should hear what they are so you can ask informed questions and make the best decision for you. I don't want it to seem like I'm saying you should do one or the other. I just think its an incredibly personal decision, and knowing what has worked for others might help.

I honestly think if I had a really supportive family, I might go home and take the time off, and I do think first year is shocking. I found first semester second year easier, but this semester harder.

I think it sounds pretty exciting! You get a year to spend preparing for and then caring for a child, then the next year you can start the path towards becoming a doctor. :) Congrats, and best wishes to you!

There was a girl at my school who was allowed to attend classes half-time for four semesters in order to have a child. (So you'd take first year over two years instead of one.) At TN, in that situation, you'd pay for courses by the hour instead of full tuition, so it would work out to about the same expense. You may want to ask about that.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate the OP coming forward and asking the question. My partner and I have been talking about whether it's feasible to have a child before finishing up vet school and it's interesting to see all the different options/opinions. I know it won't be in the first 2 years, and I have a STRONG preference that it's AFTER I pass the state boards.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate the OP coming forward and asking the question. My partner and I have been talking about whether it's feasible to have a child before finishing up vet school and it's interesting to see all the different options/opinions. I know it won't be in the first 2 years, and I have a STRONG preference that it's AFTER I pass the state boards.

My husband and I have been talking about kids and vet school too. I talked to one of the vets I worked with and she said she would recommend 2nd or 3rd year. 1st year, is 1st year and you're getting used to everything. She also said she wouldn't recommend 4th year because it's clinics and because you're exposed to so much. She did say she new people who had kids during 4th year and were fine.

She also said she wouldn't recommend 4th year because it's clinics and because you're exposed to so much. She did say she new people who had kids during 4th year and were fine.

4th year is common here. Apparently the clinics are accustomed to dealing with pregnancy, and in our 4th year you can take up to 6 weeks off. I haven't heard about many women successfully having kids during second year here (here 2nd semester 2nd year is the notoriously difficult semester.) Third year apparently eases up and has increased flexibility in scheduling.

Horse - just so you know we seem to have an average of one pregnancy per year here at Davis and with one small exception no one has really seemed to have a major problem or fail out of anything or be forced to take the year over.

A classmate of mine had her baby last year, her husband's job allowed him a lot of flexibility and her mother was in town for at least a few months to help out. She was very tired but she handled it like a champ (she is basically just an awesome lady all around!) and it seemed like admin was very supportive. Also - she wore a respirator and attended all of our anatomy labs and suffered no ill effects - they did make sure she had an appropriate respirator that was correctly fitted and they took the time to make sure anyone else who wanted or needed one, even if not pregnant, could get one.

I got divorced last year - victim of the relationships can't survive vet school stereotype unfortunately - but before vet school was strongly considering having a child during 1st or 2nd year and having seen how my classmates handle it I do think that at Davis it's more than doable if you have good support at home. Of course there can always be complications with a pregnancy but I do feel overall the school is supportive of students who are also parents.

Good luck to you :) it's a big decision but a very exciting one too!

starlene - thanks for the info. Scary to hear the divorce story though. :( I sat down with the SO and we had a serious conversation about the relationship etc before I applyed, and it's one reason I'm commuting from his house instead of getting somewhere closer to school for the first year or two. I guess that's the one thing that is really scary about vet school for me, becuase if I had to choose between the relationship and vet school it would be a very very hard call. Hopefully a decision I won't have to make if communication stays open etc. Obviously adding kids to the mix opens up an entirely new set of worms!

Sorry about the tangent. :)

It's nice to see that people have been successful when having a newborn in the middle of a semester :)

I'd agree with deferring. November especially will be hectic without a newborn child and the responsibilities that go along with that.

Last edited:
Glad the OP has posted about this topic as I've been worried as well. My fiancée and I have been considering having a child in the early summer (May) before starting vet school in the fall. I've been worrying even though this is a few years away, about this topic.

It's nice to see that people have been successful when having a newborn in the middle of a semester :)scared:) and make me feel more confident about having a child 4 months before starting vet school.

Aside from my personal rant, I'd agree with deferring. November especially will be hectic without a newborn child and the responsibilities that go along with that.

Just as a heads up, my husband and I tried for 11 months to have our first child. He's a breeze and we are thinking about a second. However, its really hard to plan a pregnancy so just be prepared if things dont work out as planned. I was more emotional about not getting pregnant when I wanted to than when I actually was pregnant. Most of my mom friends also say it took months before they conceived.

Good luck to all the moms in vet school. It's definitely doable and my family is so happy we did!!!

I don't know if my classmate had some killer insurance or very generous family members, but one of my classmates had a baby the month (or two, not sure) before school and I believe her husband made it work by staying home with the baby during classes and going to work at night. It was a sacrifice for both her and her husband, but she's doing very well and so is the baby.

Hi there,

I too am attending Michigan State in the fall for the first time--- knowing myself, I'd probably defer. I just can't imagine being exhausted all of the time, trying to get through my fist semester, and then having to devote myself to a tiny human just as I'm getting into the swing of things.

That being said, if you were to stick with it, I'm confident that your classmates would be willing to provide support, notes, etc...

Ultimately, it comes down to what you think is going to be best for your new family.

i would definitely defer if you can, especially since this is your first child. i started as a first year in the class of 2014 and had my daughter a few months before..i ended up failing two classes and am restarting next year. i just didnt have enough time to devote to school and a new baby. if i took time away from studying i felt like a bad student and suffered during exams but if i took time away to study i felt like a bad mom. being a new mother is an important adjustment physically, mentally and especially emotionally..add to that being a first year and its just too overwhelming.. if i had to do it again i would have deferred and saved myself the stress, and money..spent the time with my baby and conquered vet school later. and while becoming a vet is my dream and i'm sure your's as well. once you become a parent, especially a mom, that becomes your life and most important priority so i suggest you enjoy the time you can with your little one now and i think you'll be much more refreshed and prepared to take on vet school next year..good luck and welcome to the exciting and all too exhausting world of motherhood