Pregnancy in Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aroy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I am currently applying to optometry school for admissions for FALL 2020. I will be 30 when I enter into optometry school and 34 when I graduate. My husband and I really want kids and would like to have at least 2 kids. When would be a good time to start to have kids before its too late? Is it a good idea to have children when in optometry school? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you decide to get pregnant before school or during school, either way you are going to have to take some time off. It would be easier if your husband is going to be near you while in Optometry school, but that all depends where you get accepted and if he is able to move.
I have a friend who got pregnant during optometry school but she is not a new mother (already has kids). So she took a year 35 off from school and then was able to continue her studies after maternity leave.
Then I had another friend who got pregnant for the first time at the end of 3rd year which caused her to take time off. After 1 yr, she resumed optometry school but then eventually dropped out. Going to optometry school is a burden but also a rewarding experience. It takes all of your time and money. You'll be lacking sleep just from studying for tests. Some schools go by semester or quarterly systems, that changes how often you will have tests so keep that in mind.

It is not the end of the world, you can still get pregnant at 35 or you can always go to optometry school in the next 2 years or so.

It would likely be stressful, but if you are determined you can do it. The easiest time to do it would likely be either first or fourth year, since first year your load should be the lowest and fourth year you'll be going on clinical rotations. Neither time is perfect since first year you'll also have to adjust to the pace of school and a new environment and fourth year you'll have to find time to take part 3 boards in North Carolina and part 2 boards and apply for state licensure.
It's probably easiest to have a baby beforehand and your husband can hopefully help with childcare during school.