Pregnancy during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NikkiDeee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any females out there (or know of any in your program) that can speak on your experience having a baby during a plastics residency? I'm just curious how difficult it is to stay on track with the rest of the residents in the program and since there are only 2 to 3 residents per year, how the program deals with your maternity leave. I'm definately interested in having a family wondered when you think a convenient time (if there ever is one) would be to start a family if you go into plastics.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of anyone pregnant during their plastics training. Most choose to do it prior to or afterwards. The brief (relatively) amount of time you have to learn such a large field does not lend itself to taking time off for maternity. In addition, as you pointed out, with 1-2 residents/year having someone off the schedule can play havok for everyone in the program. Though I'm sure no one would admit it on the record, if they thought there was a chance you wanted to have a baby during training that they would not consider you for their program.

My sister in law got her two children while she was a resident in plastic surgery. She was 36 years old when she got her first child. She worked for the first 8 months and took 1 month off. It is not impossible but hard b/c she could not see her children as much as she wanted to. I think it also depends on how flexible your program is. I am sure they will understand as long as you don't take four months off.

Where did she "get" her children? From the normal place?

Sorry I couldn't resist...

If she adopted I apologize but I had to know.