Prediction time...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided not to put the rest in the thread title...

Prediction: SDN will be sited in a malpractice case arguing for inferior/lack of uniform training of podiatrists... disclosure: I have no inside knowledge about this occuring...just a prediction. Thought of this reviewing a Twitter thread on medmal and how NP cases can offer not be reviewed by MDs because the are not peers...

Edit: Crap just realized the can of worms I potentially opened....this has nothing to do with NPs.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I doubt this site is directly mentioned, but some lawyers will certainly look at this site to see if there is anything on here they can us to their advantage in their particular case.

SDN, with a group of anonymous bomb-throwers, is not a credible or authoritative reference and would never be admissible in court.

Attorneys would never use a blog, especially anonymous ones, they would just depose the author.

But plaintiffs attorneys have used low board passing rates (“most podiatrists can’t pass their boards”) as advertisements to get cases.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did someone say we should bomb SDN? 💣💣💣

SDN, with a group of anonymous bomb-throwers, is not a credible or authoritative reference and would never be admissible in court.

Attorneys would never use a blog, especially anonymous ones, they would just depose the author.

But plaintiffs attorneys have used low board passing rates (“most podiatrists can’t pass their boards”) as advertisements to get cases.

Oh my!

I guess that only applies to Feli then, you ready for a deposition? 😂

I think more likely is that pod school X loses its cred for students failing boards and struggling in match (a la Caribb), they try to throw everyone and anyone under the bus as to why they couldn't get better apps and produce better product?

How many people actually read this forum? I’m not going to lie. Without SDN I probably would’ve never became a podiatrist (things were more positive 5+ years ago)

We need a mole inside admissions. And of course only needed at one of the schools then we can get there email list and then just link to this site. Since everybody applies to all nine schools because they are idiots and have no idea how things work, we only need one mole to get the whole admission email list

• Love
We need a mole inside admissions. And of course only needed at one of the schools then we can get there email list and then just link to this site. Since everybody applies to all nine schools because they are idiots and have no idea how things work, we only need one mole to get the whole admission email list

Incredible. This could be a Netflix mini series “Infiltrating Podiatry”.

Incredible. This could be a Netflix mini series “Infiltrating Podiatry”.
1681145514244.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Podiatry's admission problems are not caused from SDN bomb throwers.

The admission problems are cause by saturation in podiatry combined with just how well one can do by becoming a DO, PA, NP or even RN. I mean you can get a 2 year RN degree and make 200K as a travel nurse right now.

8465D4D0-0E80-4F15-BFB9-10B89EAA1925.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatry's admission problems are not caused from SDN bomb throwers.

The admission problems are cause by saturation in podiatry combined with just how well one can do by becoming a DO, PA, NP or even RN. I mean you can get a 2 year RN degree and make 200K as a travel nurse right now.

View attachment 369167
would you do podiatry if you were private practice owner and made 400k for urself every year?

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
would you do podiatry if you were private practice owner and made 400k for urself every year?
Most would say yes, if they could sleep at nite for what making that much often involved.

And the sequel could have financial aid office (talk about a highly secure yet highly depressing job!).

"Ok Timmy, you say the $30k at 7% loan for last semester, your 4th of 11, covered your podiatry tuition and books, your apartment - but barely. Now, you need a bit more to go home to see family for XMas after exams, is that right? But it's fine because DPMs all make a ton of money, yeah? Hmmm." :(

No, that is the sequel for when they graduate.

Edit - sorry part 3. Part 2 is residency. Use wherever they filmed the wire for the backdrop for NYC residency. Never been to Wycoff Heights before but that is what I imagine it looks like.

• Haha

Pretty sure we were named in a lapiplasty case about 3-6 months ago.

We were having a good old fashioned bashing of a company and they used our comments in the lawsuit.

It involved the over billing of what should be billed as a lapidus but was being billed as a midfoot fusion to get expense of lapiplasty system covered.

Most would say yes, if they could sleep at nite for what making that much often involved.

A busy associate can collect around $600k-$700k a year and take home pay is around $200k in income due to ****ty associate contract.
So why can't a practice owner also collect $700k and with a small solo practice, your overhead will not be more than 50%. So take home for an owner will be $350k to possibly $400k if overhead is 43% at $700k collections. Am I wrong?

Folks here on sdn working for hospitals and MSG believe all PP owners are all crooks and criminals. That perception needs to change.

A busy associate can collect around $600k-$700k a year and take home pay is around $200k in income due to ****ty associate contract.
So why can't a practice owner also collect $700k and with a small solo practice, your overhead will not be more than 50%. So take home for an owner will be $350k to possibly $400k if overhead is 43% at $700k collections. Am I wrong?

Folks here on sdn working for hospitals and MSG believe all PP owners are all crooks and criminals. That perception needs to change.

Are we just assuming here that desperate associates in private practice aren’t peddling padnet, unnecessary custom orthotics, lotions, and potions etc?

Also by $200k did you actually mean about $100k?

Shhh! All DPMs now and forever need to throw elbows for hospital jobs and "win" those q3 weekends on call and required meetings and committees... or if they can't manage to get a hospital gig, they can try for MSG jobs. If they can't do that, they shall be PP associates!

Alwaaaays remember the gospel of DPM job heirarchy:
Large hospital job > small hospital job> large ortho group job > small ortho group job > univ hospital job > VA hospital job > pod group partner > MSG job > pod supergroup > large PP associate > small PP associate > moustache associate > owner PP

Remember. Never forget.

• Haha
Shhh! All DPMs now and forever need to throw elbows for hospital jobs and "win" those q3 weekends on call and required meetings and committees... or if they can't manage to get a hospital gig, they can try for MSG jobs. If they can't do that, they shall be PP associates!

Alwaaaays remember the gospel of DPM job heirarchy:
Large hospital job > small hospital job> large ortho group job > small ortho group job > univ hospital job > VA hospital job > pod group partner > MSG job > pod supergroup > large PP associate > small PP associate > moustache associate > owner PP

Remember. Never forget.
I’d have VA as #1 personally. Decent pay and unbeatable lifestyle, no stress. MSG would be better than ortho IMO too (likely less hospital crap to deal with).

Are we just assuming here that desperate associates in private practice aren’t peddling padnet, unnecessary custom orthotics, lotions, and potions etc?

Also by $200k did you actually mean about $100k?
No I actually meant around $200k if the associate is collecting around $700k with a typical $100k base and 25%-30% bonus after 3x collection. Do you still need me to do the final maths for you?

Do you still need me to do the final maths for you?

Yes probably. You have to understand that I can barely do basic math so all of those PV=nRT questions on the MCAT I bombed but thankfully pod schools will take anyone and now am podiatrist.

Also we all know that the pay either doesn’t happen or doesn’t last as an associate PP turd… greedy TFP mustache owner will hire more associates and dilute your volume back down to a nurse’s salary.

• Haha
Yes probably. You have to understand that I can barely do basic math so all of those PV=nRT questions on the MCAT I bombed but thankfully pod schools will take anyone and now am podiatrist.

Also we all know that the pay either doesn’t happen or doesn’t last as an associate PP turd… greedy TFP mustache owner will hire more associates and dilute your volume back down to a nurse’s salary.
In an ideal world, an owner will want his or her associate to succeed and make $200k but I know podiatry is different.

Let's talk about lotions. Almost daily patients ask me what to use for their dry feet. I tell them to use go to Walmart or amazon to buy Lubriderm or Goldbond. I don't sell lotions (yet) but I don't see what's wrong with selling it especially when patients are the ones asking. Same as when patients ask about which topicals to use for fungal nails. Patients are the ones who ask for these things. Same as shoe inserts.

Why am I making walmart and amazon rich by sending them business? But hey the folks working at hospitals and msg believe that they are above all that.

I’d have VA as #1 personally. Decent pay and unbeatable lifestyle, no stress. MSG would be better than ortho IMO too (likely less hospital crap to deal with).
I largely agree, but some in Ortho with ownership in facilities are making low end ortho money. If they make it to mid 50s they could walk away, cash out their shares at anytime with a large enough nest and be fine if they don't swap wives every few years. Not nearly as lucrative but starting very young at the VA could give one the opportunity to retire somewhat young. Some hospital systems have good pensions and decent job stability so same for them. Most of us in this profession, even most owners that don't have an associate empire, are just high (or not so high) hourly paid workers.

Let's talk about lotions. Almost daily patients ask me what to use for their dry feet. I tell them to use go to Walmart or amazon to buy Lubriderm or Goldbond. I don't sell lotions (yet) but I don't see what's wrong with selling it especially when patients are the ones asking. Same as when patients ask about which topicals to use for fungal nails. Patients are the ones who ask for these things. Same as shoe inserts.

Why am I making walmart and amazon rich by sending them business? But hey the folks working at hospitals and msg believe that they are above all that.
There is a difference between offering as a convenience and high pressure sales.

Done right it can be mutually beneficial. Done wrong it makes us seem like a chiro pushing vitamins or high pressure sales dental offices.

I have been to plenty of successful dental offices that make it well known they offer whitening etc but have never tried to sell it. Then there are those other type dental offices.

Without exception, I prescribe 12% Ammonium Lactate. Unless the dry skin is due to tinea pedis. Not only is it often covered by insurances, but it's inexpensive when not covered. Furthermore (and this is where I earn more mustache points) by lowering skin pH this is thought to improve overall skin turgor and reduce likelihood of fissuring.

But I hate retail. (This is where I shave my mustache.) I hate the idea of reaching into patients' pockets just to push overpriced garbage on them. I hate the idea that they're walking out thinking I'm just trying to scam them. I hate that they pay for an insurance plan only to for me to tell them the solution to their problem requires yet more money. Let the pharmacies do it.

But I hate retail. (This is where I shave my mustache.) I hate the idea of reaching into patients' pockets just to push overpriced garbage on them. I hate the idea that they're walking out thinking I'm just trying to scam them. I hate that they pay for an insurance plan only to for me to tell them the solution to their problem requires yet more money. Let the pharmacies do it.

Bingo, but this is where over saturation and greed comes into play in podiatry.

Yes, they are awesome... unless you like to work and accomplish things. Which some people kinda like. :)

Again, the fact that VAs jobs' salary/culture are highly regarded among DPMs and almost invariably dumped to the bottom-of-the-barrel MDs tells us all we need to know about the pod job market.

Yes, they are awesome... unless you like to work and accomplish things. Which some people kinda like. :)

Again, the fact that VAs jobs' salary/culture are highly regarded among DPMs and almost invariably dumped to the bottom-of-the-barrel MDs tells us all we need to know about the pod job market.
I think you can work/have good work ethic and be a great VA doc. Like I tell my patients, there are crap government VA docs and great VA docs... not rly much in the middle.

Reactions: 2 users
Could someone pls make a meme about CPME reaccrediting a school with a 69% board pass rate. I have exam or I would take on this honor.

Maybe podiatry will have a brighter future if they'd actually do their job correctly and not blame on a forum.

Majority of podiatrist hate retail hence why we went into healthcare. However sdn will make you believe that the majority of pods are "peddling padnet, unnecessary custom orthotics, lotions, and potions etc" which is further from the truth. Most solo pods are not sales people. Patient ask for a product and you provide the product in clinic and patients are happy. You can't judge the entire solo PP by the so called mustache pods doing just nail care.

Truth is, most solo PP are more focused in bring in new patients that need healthcare treatment than trying to sell lotions or portions. We in PP may not be doing charcot recons, IM nail, limb lengthening or ankle fractures every week but we see all the ingrown nails, nail fungus, warts, capsulitis, bursitis, arthritic joint pain, bunions, hammertoes, heel pain, sprains etc.

No one is going to work everyday to sell lotions or potions lol it's borderline hilarious.

I think you can work/have good work ethic and be a great VA doc. Like I tell my patients, there are crap government VA docs and great VA docs... not rly much in the middle.
Most ppl who love it have been there less than one year.

It's a personal fit, though. There are absolutely worse jobs within podiatry. Most ppl would put VA somewhere in the middle (both quality and income).

Majority of podiatrist hate retail hence why we went into healthcare. However sdn will make you believe that the majority of pods are "peddling padnet, unnecessary custom orthotics, lotions, and potions etc" which is further from the truth. Most solo pods are not sales people. Patient ask for a product and you provide the product in clinic and patients are happy. You can't judge the entire solo PP by the so called mustache pods doing just nail care.

Truth is, most solo PP are more focused in bring in new patients that need healthcare treatment than trying to sell lotions or portions. We in PP may not be doing charcot recons, IM nail, limb lengthening or ankle fractures every week but we see all the ingrown nails, nail fungus, warts, capsulitis, bursitis, arthritic joint pain, bunions, hammertoes, heel pain, sprains etc.

No one is going to work everyday to sell lotions or potions lol it's borderline hilarious.
75 percent are not like you.

Many add stuff to treatment protocols like pushing anti fungals and custom orthotics because they run numbers and try to keep their average per patient payments high. No different than at a restaurant them asking for beverages and deserts, but some places are pushier than others.

I respect you are not like the others but I promise you are the exception. If you are doing well enough great, no reason to be greedy and risk massive payback or worse.

The larger and more common thing is abuse of anything that pays well like grafts, collagen, vascular tests, ultrasound injections, ultrasound, alcohol sclerosing injections amnio, DME, compounding, balance braces, PCR, the latest new coding trick, PRP, MRI, hardware etc. Obviously many of these are already in the past. In moderation and used appropriately nothing wrong with many of those, but they are not used in moderation most places I promise you. The frequency they are used abused by most in solo practice and a good amount in groups also is absolutely astonishing while they pay well and pay backs have not started.

You are the exception most are not doing well with just a little DME and an ASC I promise you.

Last edited:
75 percent are not like you.

Many add stuff to treatment protocols like pushing anti fungals and custom orthotics because they run numbers and try to keep their average per patient payments high. No different than at a restaurant them asking for beverages and deserts, but some places are pushier than others.

I respect you are not like the others but I promise you are the exception. If you are doing well enough great, no reason to be greedy and risk massive payback or worse.

The larger and more common thing is abuse of anything that pays well like grafts, collagen, vascular tests, ultrasound injections, ultrasound, alcohol sclerosing injections amnio, DME, compounding PRP, balance braces, PCR, the latest new coding trick, PRP, MRI, hardware etc. Obviously many of these are already in the past. In moderation and used appropriately nothing wrong with many of those, but they are not used in moderation most places I promise you. The frequency they are used abused by most in solo practice and a good amount in groups also is absolutely astonishing while they pay well and pay backs have not started.

You are the exception most are not doing well with just a little DME and an ASC I promise you.
I am not angel. I do collagen powder, provide OTC anti-fungal and shoe inserts. I don't sell lotions (yet). I also do DME, grafts for patients who can benefit from it medically. Same as most pods do the same.

Nobody talks about the unnecessary MRI, CT scan, physical therapy etc that hospital folks order. If an MSG group owns an MRI center or physical therapy, nobody talks about "that".

grafts, collagen, vascular tests, ultrasound injections, ultrasound, alcohol sclerosing injections amnio, DME, compounding PRP, balance braces, PCR
I don't see anything wrong with the above if they are medically necessary.

Just as a counter point. I have elderly patients that don't go on Amazon nor is going into a store an easy option due to limited mobility. So selling that cream albeit at a higher price is worth the time and headache to them. That in essence is retail and not peddling.

I am not angel. I do collagen powder, provide OTC anti-fungal and shoe inserts. I don't sell lotions (yet). I also do DME, grafts for patients who can benefit from it medically. Same as most pods do the same.

Nobody talks about the unnecessary MRI, CT scan, physical therapy etc that hospital folks order. If an MSG group owns an MRI center or physical therapy, nobody talks about "that".

I don't see anything wrong with the above if they are medically necessary.
Agree. You are doing what is necessary.

You need to do some of that as long as you document. You are foolish not do some off this. You can do everything right and get paybacks. Be very careful with kickbacks or referral to your own pharmacy or lab or anything with ownership like MRI etc.

Many are still doing things to a whole other level beyond what you are doing.

Yes other medical specialties are not angels either. They just tend to pay healthcare attorneys to shield them and internally audit etc to make sure notes are good. They pick and choose a bit more what they get involved with.

Last edited:
Well sdn has been cited once recently....