predicted salary drops vs group contractions in APM zips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakFlag

spiral of silence
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those in the APM blessed zips, has anyone crunched the numbers yet to estimate predicted salary drops versus the number of docs to let go in order to maintain pre-APM salary levels? gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

I've talked to multiple smart and business savy rad oncs. Bottom line it really depends on the type of practice and current practice pattern. If you're at a place that gets average reimbursement and are already on the hypofrac/efficiency train, things shouldn't change much. In fact you may get a slight bump in revenue. If you're at a place that still does 44 fractions for every prostate and 33 for every breast (if that's even possible), then revenues will take a hit. Also, APM is supposed to reduce the disparity in the amount places get reimbursed. If you're at a place that already gets reimbursed below average, then you may get a bit of a raise. I mean who knows, but most people I've talked to believe the sky is falling pic some are worried about is highly unlikely to happen

Reactions: 1 user
I've talked to multiple smart and business savy rad oncs. Bottom line it really depends on the type of practice and current practice pattern. If you're at a place that gets average reimbursement and are already on the hypofrac/efficiency train, things shouldn't change much. In fact you may get a slight bump in revenue. If you're at a place that still does 44 fractions for every prostate and 33 for every breast (if that's even possible), then revenues will take a hit. Also, APM is supposed to reduce the disparity in the amount places get reimbursed. If you're at a place that already gets reimbursed below average, then you may get a bit of a raise. I mean who knows, but most people I've talked to believe the sky is falling pic some are worried about is highly unlikely to happen
In psychiatry they always say "keep a dirty mind." That line of thinking should carry over to pain-versus-gain analyses under APM. On its face, the logic of "'good' actors will not be hurt, or may win a little" and "'bad' actors will get their comeuppance" is appealing to the heart and soul. It conjures up images of a benevolent if not non-malign government entity who's merely swooping in to change up the billing sequences a little, add a little "pizazz," and not actually save itself money by taking money from radiation oncologists. "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." In a world where, now, an entire treatment course gets stamped with a singular value, APM devalues and simultaneously obliterates all the "quantum work" and things rad oncs had at their fingertips before to remain financially agile.

Your logic is sound, for the moment. But keep a dirty a mind.

Reactions: 1 users
In psychiatry they always say "keep a dirty mind." That line of thinking should carry over to pain-versus-gain analyses under APM. On its face, the logic of "'good' actors will not be hurt, or may win a little" and "'bad' actors will get their comeuppance" is appealing to the heart and soul. It conjures up images of a benevolent if not non-malign government entity who's merely swooping in to change up the billing sequences a little, add a little "pizazz," and not actually save itself money by taking money from radiation oncologists. "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." In a world where, now, an entire treatment course gets stamped with a singular value, APM devalues and simultaneously obliterates all the "quantum work" and things rad oncs had at their fingertips before to remain financially agile.

Your logic is sound, for the moment. But keep a dirty a mind.
My mind stays dirty but may not be in the proper context here.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user