Predents be warned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeagueofLigTies

Resident Orthodontist
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I’m allowed to post this so please remove it if I’m violating any rules, but here’s the current agenda from the D3 deans meeting..
4AC69042-01AE-4562-B7DC-332C0A13533B.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Lol in other words, don't go to NYU

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I go to a state school and the receipt after handing them 20k every semester just says thank you for your payment. That’s it. Its not any better at state schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I go to a state school and the receipt after handing them 20k every semester just says thank you for your payment. That’s it. Its not any better at state schools.
I go to a state school too. Except we’re not paying the 100k tuition NYU students are..
My school was also more than happy to provide an itemized list and even went over it with us

I go to a state school too. Except we’re not paying the 100k tuition NYU students are..
My school was also more than happy to provide an itemized list and even went over it with us
This might be off-topic but I like your profile pic and your username :lol:

Your school went over exactly how much went to where with the students? I'm curious what this school is.

I'd think most schools would not provide this information to students.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't believe my state school provides an itemized breakdown either, but again the tuition is significantly less than NYU.

generally speaking admins at d school are largely incompetent anyways

Yep besides the fear of increasing tuition for the next year, we also have the following that were just decided for us in the previous week(s):

1) Spring break, gone
2) Half of our summer vacation, gone
3) Admin told D1s and D2s that they weren't eligible for the vaccine and go find it somewhere else.

This is just a typical week.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Yep besides the fear of increasing tuition for the next year, we also have the following that were just decided for us in the previous week(s):

1) Spring break, gone
3) Admin told D1s and D2s that they weren't eligible for the vaccine and go find it somewhere else.

I'd rather give up the breaks to make up for the loss of work and practice due to COVID. Since when did schools consult with students to make up schedules?

They did not say the third. D1 and D2 technically are not eligible for vaccines. They have no direct patient contact. Yes, ADA said that the dental students are eligible. However, the NY guideline specifically says that vaccines are only for those with direct patient contact: D3 and D4.

I'm not a fan of how NYUCD is ran, but let's be accurate in information.

I'd rather give up the breaks to make up for the loss of work and practice due to COVID. Since when did schools consult with students to make up schedules?

They did not say the third. D1 and D2 technically are not eligible for vaccines. They have no direct patient contact. Yes, ADA said that the dental students are eligible. However, the NY guideline specifically says that vaccines are only for those with direct patient contact: D3 and D4.

I'm not a fan of how NYUCD is ran, but let's be accurate in information.

You'd rather give up the breaks for it? Ok, sounds fair. So why do we have what would have been Spring break now have only didactic classes with no lab but then our lab goes 2 weeks into the Summer but not our didactics? What's the logic there? They could have just put lab during spring break and made our lab time 1 week into summer instead, but they didn't... That is actually so dumb. Or what about take home hand pieces that D2s apparently got but not D1s? Why not just give us those if they really care about our practice time?

D1s and D2s have no direct patient contact? Ok, but what about the fact that they had to change our curriculum to not include the initial pediatric clinic that we would've done such as putting fluoride varnish on children?

Lastly, NYU didn’t even tell us anything. They did not just not say the third, they don't say ****. Not a single email was sent about summer break changing or the vaccine eligibility thing. The thing that tip us off was “syllabus updated” in lab. They have said nothing on any issue to the D1s. Every piece of info came from other students on the student council or individually emailing the professors.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You'd rather give up the breaks for it? Ok, sounds fair. So why do we have what would have been Spring break now have only didactic classes with no lab but then our lab goes 2 weeks into the Summer but not our didactics? What's the logic there? They could have just put lab during spring break and made our lab time 1 week into summer instead, but they didn't... That is actually so dumb. Or what about take home hand pieces that D2s apparently got but not D1s? Why not just give us those if they really care about our practice time?

D1s and D2s have no direct patient contact? Ok, but what about the fact that they had to change our curriculum to not include the initial pediatric clinic that we would've done such as putting fluoride varnish on children?

Lastly, NYU didn’t even tell us anything. They did not just not say the third, they don't say ****. Not a single email was sent about summer break changing or the vaccine eligibility thing. The thing that tip us off was “syllabus updated” in lab. They have said nothing on any issue to the D1s. Every piece of info came from other students on the student council or individually emailing the professors.

Absolutely, I would give up my breaks in exchange for the makeups of the labs that maybe, just maybe, would have a better meaning with my tuition. The scheduling of labs is extended because the school can not accommodate as many students into the building as they did before. D1s are not the only students at the school.

I wish the D1s received the electrical drills. Despite how terrible they are, you could work at home with them. But honestly? By the end of your D2, assuming you return to your normal lab settings next year, you won't have any issues with your restoration.

Correct, D1s and D2s have no direct patient contact. Correct, ICE was changed to minimize the patient contact. Even in the next year, you aren't going to see these kids in the ICE outreach course. Don't think only for yourself - the kids would be prohibited from seeing you in the first place.

Have you noticed that the schedules have been released in 2-month intervals? The yearly schedule varies from year to year. Given the situation, I think it makes sense to extend your class year into summer and you are complaining that they give you less break to give you more practice. Please tell me, why are you in dental school?

You explicitly said the following: "3) Admin told D1s and D2s that they weren't eligible for the vaccine and go find it somewhere else."
That's not what the school said. The way this school works is that the deans have meetings with the student councils periodically to update things. They had one 1-2 weeks ago. The councils updated the students about the summer break changes and information on vaccination. If you haven't received this information, then I'd say your council is doing a poor job at it.

I'm sorry things did not turn in your favor. Nobody likes what's going on currently, including myself. I'm trying to be logical and accurate to your anger and inaccurate information posted here.

I don’t know about you @Punt me but after almost 4 years of dental school, taking time off for yourself for a week or more personally means a lot more to me than whatever I’m doing at dental school. I don’t know what year you are but simulation labs is nowhere close to the real thing and didactics can go to the toilet. As for patients, half of them cancel anyways. Taking away breaks involuntarily is absolutely ridiculous, burnout is a real thing and there’s a reason there’s so many jaded dental graduates.
Sure if YOU wanted to do 25/8(absolute Watse of time in my opinion) no chill dental school be my guest but for those that don’t, we shouldn’t have to.

Reactions: 4 users
Absolutely, I would give up my breaks in exchange for the makeups of the labs that maybe, just maybe, would have a better meaning with my tuition. The scheduling of labs is extended because the school can not accommodate as many students into the building as they did before. D1s are not the only students at the school.

I wish the D1s received the electrical drills. Despite how terrible they are, you could work at home with them. But honestly? By the end of your D2, assuming you return to your normal lab settings next year, you won't have any issues with your restoration.

Correct, D1s and D2s have no direct patient contact. Correct, ICE was changed to minimize the patient contact. Even in the next year, you aren't going to see these kids in the ICE outreach course. Don't think only for yourself - the kids would be prohibited from seeing you in the first place.

Have you noticed that the schedules have been released in 2-month intervals? The yearly schedule varies from year to year. Given the situation, I think it makes sense to extend your class year into summer and you are complaining that they give you less break to give you more practice. Please tell me, why are you in dental school?
You're not understanding me. It's fine to want to practice. I want practice too but why does our spring break not have any labs, instead they extended lab into the Summer? Our spring break is gone and now has didactics but no lab. It doesn't make sense, either give us spring break and extend both our didactic and lab classes into summer, or don't give us spring break and put both didactics and lab in that slot as well... But they did neither. They gave us didactics during spring break, and lab during summer. Their decision meant that we lost out on even more time that we could have saved.

Secondly, you said that our initial clinical experience was changed to minimize patient contact. Well... That's my point. They took it away and so we don't get the vaccine, or they could have kept it and given us the vaccine and it would have been business as usual of us having initial clinicals.

You explicitly said the following: "3) Admin told D1s and D2s that they weren't eligible for the vaccine and go find it somewhere else."
That's not what the school said. The way this school works is that the deans have meetings with the student councils periodically to update things. They had one 1-2 weeks ago. The councils updated the students about the summer break changes and information on vaccination. If you haven't received this information, then I'd say your council is doing a poor job at it.

I'm sorry things did not turn in your favor. Nobody likes what's going on currently, including myself. I'm trying to be logical and accurate to your anger and inaccurate information posted here.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That's what the student council told us, and that's since the student council gets their info from meetings, then that's what the school said. They also told us to go get it elsewhere if we can find availability.

Also, regardless of whether the council doing a poor job or not, the administration released an email about taking away our spring break, but we got zilch about summer break. They are either not transparent, or not consistent in their methods of communications, and neither are acceptable.

Last edited:

why would anyone defend dental school admin...

maybe I'm just jaded now as a D4 but gosh nationwide d school admin seem to be horrid 😅

we did an internal anonymous survey of hundreds of our grads and current d students on our alumni group...literally zero people voted they would ever donate to the school 😶

I don’t know about you @Punt me but after almost 4 years of dental school, taking time off for yourself for a week or more personally means a lot more to me than whatever I’m doing at dental school. I don’t know what year you are but simulation labs is nowhere close to the real thing and didactics can go to the toilet. As for patients, half of them cancel anyways. Taking away breaks involuntarily is absolutely ridiculous, burnout is a real thing and there’s a reason there’s so many jaded dental graduates.
Sure if YOU wanted to do 25/8(absolute Watse of time in my opinion) no chill dental school be my guest but for those that don’t, we shouldn’t have to.

I understand the importance of breaks. It's not like they're taking away the entire summer break.

SB might have an easier time with a 10% number of students in labs than NYU. There is one lab every 1-2 weeks. This eases the burden on the students' current schedule and they're probably having the easiest D1 Fall and Spring semesters in history.

I'm in no way *defending* the admin - I'm speaking out the truth behind this accusation. If you've seen me in some of my other posts of NYU, I've done a fair share of **** talking about NYUCD.

why would anyone defend dental school admin...

maybe I'm just jaded now as a D4 but gosh nationwide d school admin seem to be horrid 😅

we did an internal anonymous survey of hundreds of our grads and current d students on our alumni group...literally zero people voted they would ever donate to the school 😶

It’s a universal thing that admins first priority is looking after their own best interests and making their seats are safe. They are there to suck up money because they can’t do dentistry.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand the importance of breaks. It's not like they're taking away the entire summer break.

SB might have an easier time with a 10% number of students in labs than NYU. There is one lab every 1-2 weeks. This eases the burden on the students' current schedule and they're probably having the easiest D1 Fall and Spring semesters in history.

I'm in no way *defending* the admin - I'm speaking out the truth behind this accusation. If you've seen me in some of my other posts of NYU, I've done a fair share of **** talking about NYUCD.
There is no truth that you are saying. Our labs are 6pm-9pm in the evening. No one is using bench, sim, or clinical areas during these times. There is no reason not to have lab in the evening during spring break if we're already having didactics during the morning and afternoon of that week. Even with your "more practice is better mindset", they took 3 weeks of our vacation when they could have been more efficient and taken just 2 weeks by putting our labs and didactics together. This was just plain stupid planning.

Last edited:
It’s a universal thing that admins first priority is looking after their own best interests and making their seats are safe. They are there to suck up money because they can’t do dentistry.
I second this.

Most students at NYU paying $400k for tuition and the admin can't even provide a breakdown? This should be a lawsuit. Theyre abusing the students lack of representation.

Reactions: 2 users
I second this.

Most students at NYU paying $400k for tuition and the admin can't even provide a breakdown? This should be a lawsuit. Theyre abusing the students lack of representation.
NYU aside, I'm curious if any higher education institution offers breakdowns of their finances to the general public.

NYU aside, I'm curious if any higher education institution offers breakdowns of their finances to the general public.
I know several dental schools do this. And I believe state schools are obligated to provide a breakdown to the public.

So are D3s and D4s qualifying for the vaccine and if so, do they get it from NYU? Do D1s and D2s have patient contact?
They get it from NYU langone. D1s and D2s have initial clinicals which they will have contact with patients. Due to the pandemic, they removed it or pushed it back.

Is it fair to put the blame on NYU for not vaccinating their D1s and D2s? Isn't it out of their hands? Seems more like it is the political establishment in NY and NYC that should be getting the blame.

Is it fair to put the blame on NYU for not vaccinating their D1s and D2s? Isn't it out of their hands? Seems more like it is the political establishment in NY and NYC that should be getting the blame.
That would be correct considering they control the flow of supply and D1/D2 students in NY are classified as 1b in regards to vaccine distribution.

As of 1 hour ago, I (a D1) just got my official turn to get the vaccine with NYU.

Last edited:

I honestly think they took away spring break because some of the students have been playing it very fast and loose with trips to hot zones, being maskless at crowded public places, and then having the audacity to show up to lab or clinic like they weren't just in Florida a few hours ago. I imagine NYU doesn't want to suspend another chunk of students who need to start acting right before their peers start snitching to student affairs. Screenshots of certain people have been circulating and it has been a hot topic of conversation at both my residency program and in private practice because it is a relevant and timely question of ethics and professionalism. I don't blame people for needing to get out of here, but please keep your stuff on private. Your peers and future patients don't need to know that you were honeymooning in the Bahamas while others lost heat, power, their jobs, food security, etc.

Also, historically speaking, spring break always coincided with ADEA and AADR to ensure that faculty and students who were presenting could make it out there. It's all virtual this year so I suppose it is not a priority to give time off but that one week is a drop in the bucket compared to all of the things y'all haven't been doing for D1/2 labs. I don't see the theoretical harm in giving people the week off but as I said before, some people are out here showing their whole tuchuses and to be honest, I worry about some of the older faculty that are still coming in.

On tuition not changing, I suspect that most of the costs of running the dental school are fixed/contractual. I think I saw a figure ages ago that stated that half of the total revenue goes to payroll and the other half is a mix of all the other expenses like clinic supplies (PPE and single use stuff seriously adds up!), lab fees to the companies who make the fixed and removable stuff, sterilization, computer servers/IT stuff, Elsevier/Vitalbook for journal and textbook seat licenses, and whatever the relationship is between the dental school and NYU the brand. Maybe lease on the brand name?

Per the instrument fee, it's how in D1/2 your tools are "rented" in which you don't keep them. The school does. To my understanding, your old D1/2 stuff is restored by the Hu-friedy people when you turn it in at the end of D2 and they are put into circuclation to replace busted instruments plus the extra instruments kept on the 11th floor when y'all inevitably break or lose various things. If the school plans to buy a certain amount of stuff each year, that purchase is split in the tuition everyone pays. D3/4 it becomes the fee for maintenance and replacement of tools. Believe it or not, cavitron tips are pricey and dull pretty quickly. Those little V3 matrix holders people keep throwing out are 200$ EACH. I know people say the stuff you use at NYU isn't the greatest but now having been in residency and at both a medicaid office and a no-insurance office... a lot of it pretty good stuff, adequately sterilized, and maintained reasonably well except for the occasional broken instrument in a cassette.

Count your GPA blessings with those at home exams though. For real. At Buffalo they actually have proctors watching students through their cameras.

As of 1 hour ago, I (a D1) just got my official turn to get the vaccine with NYU.

This is interesting because I'm still in contact with a goodly number of students in student government and class council and this would be the first I'm hearing of such a thing for the D1s and D2s. Would you mind sharing exactly how you managed that? I have a couple of D1s and 2s I mentor who would be very interested in getting vaccine appointments.

This is interesting because I'm still in contact with a goodly number of students in student government and class council and this would be the first I'm hearing of such a thing for the D1s and D2s. Would you mind sharing exactly how you managed that? I have a couple of D1s and 2s I mentor who would be very interested in getting vaccine appointments.
I just got a text from NYU saying I'm now eligible for the vaccine. I had to download the NYU langone app and create an account to sign up though. A very very few D1s I know got it too, but the vast majority didn't. I'm talking literally like 3 people out of hundreds. Not sure how they are rolling this out.

I just got a text from NYU saying I'm now eligible for the vaccine. I had to download the NYU langone app and create an account to sign up though. A very very few D1s I know got it too, but the vast majority didn't. I'm talking literally like 3 people out of hundreds. Not sure how they are rolling this out.
You are eligible is because of you are D1 or what? I would like to whether I can get it, where do I check it out?

1) Spring break, gone

damn, how do they get away with such disregard for their own students... hang in there kiddo

damn, how do they get away with such disregard for their own students... hang in there kiddo
The admins really are something else... However, there is some good news.

Quick update:

#1 regarding spring break being taken away will proceed as planned, but #2 plan regarding summer break ended up being rejected and they have no plans to change our summer vacation. Good news, but I hope that this stays.

#3 regarding D1-D2 eligibility on the other hand was back tracked a few days ago, and they said "we wanted to vax you all a few months ago but we didn't have supply and had to make priorities. Now that they are ramping up supplies, we hope to vax you all." D2s have already gotten their call to vax and some D1s as well. Good news as well, but the inconsistency, non-transparency, and straight up lying is annoying. Also, guess that D2 that was "trying to accurate some inaccuracies" ended up being wrong in the first place. :rolleyes:

Just curious how much is tuition now? Either way this is nuts! 😲