PreDent thinking about Med School, diff prereq's, any advice or thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henrythelion

PreDent or PreMed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a PreDental Student @ UC Berkeley. I'm considering med school instead of dental school now after taking some coursework in anatomy and infectious diseases. Wayyy more interesting than teeth. So I'm wondering how much of my coursework + EC's as a PreDental can be relevant towards preparing and applying for med school. Of course, there's a different test, MCAT vs DAT but what else is different? It's probably a long list of things but I'm trying to figure things out this summer.

Just a quick sketch about me..
GPA: 3.65, Science GPA 3.65

So far I've taken general chem w/ lab, organic chem w/ lab, bio w/ lab, physics w/ lab, biochemistry, calc, anatomy, microbiology and psychology. I'm also planning to take genetics, cell bio and immunology before I graduate next year.

I've done alot of dental office shadowing, volunteering and work as a receptionist. I'm hoping my experiences here can just demonstrate people skills at the very least.

I'm a research assistant in a plant bio lab. I do some biology teaching on the side.

I know I should shadow a physician. Do med school's have a preference of what type of doc I should shadow? Is emergency room volunteering a must?

Members don't see this ad.