Predent: CC transfer - choosing between UVA, Tech, and GMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reneef

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an upcoming sophomore at a community college and I'm weighing my options on where to go after this and between dental school. My main concern is making my application the strongest while keeping college affordable.

All I've gather right now is that UVA is the most prestigious. I've heard their academics are over the top and the amount of work and stress that will build throughout my junior and senior year will be pointless when the ultimate goal is to get into dental school. However, it's been my number one school without question till now because how much stronger can an applicant look from "The University of Virginia"?
I've heard nothing so negative of Tech. Great research opportunities. I was there over the summer for a research internship myself and very much enjoyed it, but nothing made me fall in love (Just figured I'd add it to the list since many people rave over Tech).
GMU was never on my mind until I started looking at numbers this week. I could commute there and save about 10k in two years by avoiding dorms/apartments. How does GMU compete with UVA as an applicant though? I'm also concerned how dental schools in different states will view an applicant who has never lived on her own.

I'm not concerned about the best social life; that can be made at all three schools. My main concerns are 1. making my application strong 2. keeping the costs down 3. gaining personal experience my last two years as an undergrad

Thank you for reading :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have no insight into any of these schools, but I will say I don't believe adcomms look at the rigor of your undergraduate institution too closely. Sure, it matters, but unless you attended an Ivy, only community college, or it came down to a "tiebreak" type scenario, it isn't a huge deal.

Save money, do some research, shadow, you'll be all set.

Reactions: 1 user
I have classmates from all three schools and schools throughout the country. It doesn't matter where you go.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know GMU has a SMP in case you need one later. But have you considered VCU? Just wondering why that's not in the running.

I'm a student at JMU right now and I love it. The science program imo is great and I feel very prepared for dental school. There are also many opportunities for undergraduate research if that's what you're into. If you have the grades for UVA, I'd go there but if not, I would recommend JMU. I can answer any questions you may have about the school.

Pick the cheapest one as I don't think the school's rigor is their number 1 criteria. As long as you don't abuse community college for more than 2-3 years things should be fine.

I say pick the cheapest. VCU might be best since they have a dental school but in the end I'd look at what the undergrad has to offer - what's the class sizes, is your major doing good things (like is there research...), is it CRAZYYY competitive (where everyone fights to get to #1...), is the library open good hours...is there good food....I think my mindset changes the further I get into my own undergrad but essentially I would look at these. All of those schools are good IMO based on name and around the Virginia area..:shrug:

I know GMU has a SMP in case you need one later. But have you considered VCU? Just wondering why that's not in the running.
Richmond isn't really my favorite. I'll apply for dental school since it's my state and the campus itself is nice, but Richmond itself isn't appealing to me.
Could you explain what SMP is?

Richmond isn't really my favorite. I'll apply for dental school since it's my state and the campus itself is nice, but Richmond itself isn't appealing to me.
Could you explain what SMP is?

Better get to like it lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have talked to adcoms from dental schools that present at my undergrad every year. Where you go to school does not matter. If it is accredited you are okay. My best advice go somewhere where you won't drop in GPA and be more focused. If it is the smaller university I would go because you got 1-2 years to keep your grades up. Don't let prestige and other factors detour you from the best decision. You are going to become a dentist and that should be your only focus. Not how prestigious your school is.

A 3.7 from GMU makes you much more competitive than a 3.4 from UVA.

As a student currently at UVA, it's definitely going to be harder to maintain a high GPA at schools like Tech and UVA simply because classes are very competitive and the science classes are often curve-based. The one positive that I can say is that the courses over here truly challenged me and forced me to develop really great study habits and I credit my classes here for making the science sections on the DAT a lot easier for me. There's advantages and disadvantages, I think it's what you make of it when you get there.

Reactions: 1 users