Preceptor Submitted Eval Late, Now Stuck with the Wrong Lower Grade in My Specialty Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuildingMyOwnLuck

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a rotation in psychiatry in a while back and I sent the preceptor an email with the eval right after as per all my other rotations. However, he did not send it in and after a few months the school put down a B as a substitute (which they give to all substitute grades). After following up with the preceptor and some headache with school admin, I got the eval and submitted it (his eval equated to A [all "exceeds expectations"] since the elective grade is 100% based on eval).

They put in his comments from the eval but wouldn't budge updating the grade itself, referencing the student guidebook saying they can't change the grade since its set now. Where can I mention this in my ERAS? My other 2 psyc rotations were both A (no honors though) and I don't want this to negatively impact my residency applications. Appreciate any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Check your handbook for the appeals process. This warrants it. There may be someone who can use common sense and fix this.

Reactions: 1 users
I am so sorry this happened to you :(. Honestly, can someone tell me why medical schools are just "We care about you!" on the outside but really it always feels like they are out to get you on the smallest of things?!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check your handbook for the appeals process. This warrants it. There may be someone who can use common sense and fix this.
Unfortunately both the the student and associate Deans are saying it's too late for grade appeals. The updated eval was submitted by my preceptor in mid-August, so it was too late before it even got there.

Unfortunately both the the student and associate Deans are saying it's too late for grade appeals. The updated eval was submitted by my preceptor in mid-August, so it was too late before it even got there.
Yeah that sucks. But check anyhow and see if there’s any further appeal you could make. You really have nothing to lose by trying. And make sure the handbook really does spell out what they say it does.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that sucks. But check anyhow and see if there’s any further appeal you could make. You really have nothing to lose by trying. And make sure the handbook really does spell out what they say it does.
So per the handbook: "Appeals have to be presented to the course director, who is also the department chair of the rotation. For a non-failing grade, appeals must be submitted within one week after the grade has been posted."

The substitute grade was posted in June, the eval came in August, so there was 0 chance I could have appealed.

Do you think I should mention this somewhere on my app or just go along and explain during interviews if asked? I do have a letter from that preceptor which should be pretty strong, in conjunction with his positive rotation comments that were transferred, so I'm hoping this won't cause a big issue.

So per the handbook: "Appeals have to be presented to the course director, who is also the department chair of the rotation. For a non-failing grade, appeals must be submitted within one week after the grade has been posted."

The substitute grade was posted in June, the eval came in August, so there was 0 chance I could have appealed.

Do you think I should mention this somewhere on my app or just go along and explain during interviews if asked? I do have a letter from that preceptor which should be pretty strong, in conjunction with his positive rotation comments that were transferred, so I'm hoping this won't cause a big issue.
As a Registrar who coordinates grades and transcripts myself, I would sincerely recommend bringing this policy issue to as many administrative advocates as you can.

Having an actual letter grade for a placeholder (which typically would be "I" for incomplete) is disingenuous and clearly detrimental to students. Not to mention the unrealistic grade appeal timeline, which was not possible in this case (and I suspect many others).

Medical school evaluations often come late, especially for away rotations. So they have to factor that in to policy considerations and implementation. When students bring issues like this to light, we take a look at the policy for any other negative effects and necessary updates. Especially considering it was an administrative issue and not in your control.

Reactions: 2 users
You need to have this policy amended.

Its clear this is nonsense and your grade shouldn't be punished because of another's tardiness. This isn't on you, but the school. If they're going to stick to their guns about policy they should acknowledge the policy is ridiculous and should be adjusted or admit they care nothing for their students.