Precalculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mjs853

I am going to take Chem and Phys classes in 2005/2006. For folks who have already taken these, should I take Precalculus even though it is not a prereq to those courses? I am thinking about taking it at a local college instead of loyola which is where I will go for my post bac because Loyola doesn't require precalc to enroll in those classes. I dropped pre-alg and algebra, got W's, when I was getting my first bachelor's because of real heavy course loads (was taking 21 hours at a time to get out early). I retook them the following year and got B's in addition to take Business Calculus (also got B). Now I have forgotten all that math because it was 8 years ago. Any advice/suggestions on which math courses I can take now that would help on MCAT and with phys/chem classes? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

mjs853 said:
I am going to take Chem and Phys classes in 2005/2006. For folks who have already taken these, should I take Precalculus even though it is not a prereq to those courses? I am thinking about taking it at a local college instead of loyola which is where I will go for my post bac because Loyola doesn't require precalc to enroll in those classes. I dropped pre-alg and algebra, got W's, when I was getting my first bachelor's because of real heavy course loads (was taking 21 hours at a time to get out early). I retook them the following year and got B's in addition to take Business Calculus (also got B). Now I have forgotten all that math because it was 8 years ago. Any advice/suggestions on which math courses I can take now that would help on MCAT and with phys/chem classes? Thanks!

This is a great question. I also am taking Chem/Physics in the fall and planned on taking a "math refresher" to prepare. So I enrolled in pre-calc during the summer thinking it was going to be a good review. Well, don't do it. Pre calc assumes most of the basic algebra, trig, etc. that you will need to review for chemistry and physics. So, I dropped out once I spoke with the professor once I noticed there was no quadratic equations or dilution problems, etc on the syllibus. She told me to take either algebra/trig (which I had already taken as an undergrad so I did not want to repeat, plus it was not offered over the summer), so I took a GRE review course. It was offererd through our summer school, not through a prep company like kaplan, so it was not 2K.

I would say do algebra/trig because we all know there is no calculus on the MCAT or in chemistry/phisics (assuming your taking non-calc based).
Good luck.

Thanks - do you think I should just review on my own then, since I already have taken algebra (ahem...twice)? Also, all these tests such DAT, MCAT, only have algebra, trig?

Members don't see this ad :)
mjs853 said:
Thanks - do you think I should just review on my own then, since I already have taken algebra (ahem...twice)? Also, all these tests such DAT, MCAT, only have algebra, trig?

I would review on my own, I just took the review course because it had been some time since I took algebra. I mean, if you have taken algebra/trig before and have done well, you should have no problem. I did well, but again it was so long ago I though I needed a refresher class. Most of physics/chem is setting up word problems, knowing quadratic formula, adding dividing with exponents, etc. There are a ton of chem/physics books that review these in more detail, but you should be fine without pre-calc.

I have never taken Geom/Trig - what do you think in terms of those classes?

mjs853 said:
I have never taken Geom/Trig - what do you think in terms of those classes?

From what I gather geometry and trig are very limited, however present in both classes. I took geometry in highschool and I actully took only one semester of algebra, so I didn't have any trig. I simply read a few basic physics and chemistry math review sections out of books and I was able to comprehend most. I don't think any one section of either class has a focus on either trig of geometry specifically, but I would do a review out of a book of some sort so that it does not scare you when you see it. I liked the Physics and Chemistry demistified books, they seem to do a good job of explaining basic math principles with tests and practice problems at the end of each chapter. However, there are tons of review books to choose from. I would simply go to a barnes and noble or boarders and look through a few to see which works for you.

I too am taking chem and phys at Harvard in the Fall. This past Spring semester at Umass Boston I took Intro to Algebra and right now during summer session II at Umass am taking College Algebra.

My last math had been 16 years previous so I found the math refresher invaluable. I really didn't want to take algebra at 8:15 in the morning 4 days a week for 5 weeks during the summer, but I REALLY REALLY don't want to be struggling with math come this fall.

Take a refresher! The last thing you want this fall is to be cursing your lousy math skills (lousy refers to MY skills if Ihadn't taken refreshers).

Best of luck and see you soon!!

ockhamsRzr

Do the algebra review then do the precalc (which should include trig), it'll be better for you...

thank you - this really helps...can you also suggest books to use for MCAT and Algebra? Also, where can I buy a few decent ones at good prices??

mjs853 said:
thank you - this really helps...can you also suggest books to use for MCAT and Algebra? Also, where can I buy a few decent ones at good prices??

Search the MCAT forum and you'll find many good resources. As I said above, if you're looking for an algebra review book, usually a lot of the subject review books (for chem/physics) do a good job of outlining what math you need to review. Of course its nice to do a whole year of algebra/trig, but if you don't have that luxery I would suggest simply looking at the bookstore. Everyone had different learning styles and each book is different.