pre-vet to pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parker2016

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a junior at a university in Texas, currently studying biomedical sciences, and have recently decided that medical school is what I want to do. Being new to the whole pre-med thing, I had a couple questions about applying and whether any of my experience will count towards med school.

First of all, I have a 3.5c and 3.6s, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have been working at a veterinary teaching hospital in the small animal surgery department for 2 years now. My job is to prep the OR room and patients, clean and sterilize instruments, and assist the surgeons throughout the procedure by handing up instruments. I also train new hires, and am the lead orthopedic surg tech. My concern is that none of this experience will be accepted by med schools becasue it doesn't pertain to human care. I am applying to volunteer opportunities at the local hospital, and hope to begin by next semester. I also have 100 non clinical volunteering hours at different organizations around town.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior at a university in Texas, currently studying biomedical sciences, and have recently decided that medical school is what I want to do. Being new to the whole pre-med thing, I had a couple questions about applying and whether any of my experience will count towards med school.

First of all, I have a 3.5c and 3.6s, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have been working at a veterinary teaching hospital in the small animal surgery department for 2 years now. My job is to prep the OR room and patients, clean and sterilize instruments, and assist the surgeons throughout the procedure by handing up instruments. I also train new hires, and am the lead orthopedic surg tech. My concern is that none of this experience will be accepted by med schools becasue it doesn't pertain to human care. I am applying to volunteer opportunities at the local hospital, and hope to begin by next semester. I also have 100 non clinical volunteering hours at different organizations around town.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Your concerns are appropriate. Your OR job can be listed under Employment - Nonclinical. It's valuable experience, but would not count toward the adcomm expectation of active engagement/experience with human patients in medical facilities. Training new hires can be listed separately under Leadership or Teaching. Your Volunteering - Nonclinical "counts" even if some of it was with agencies serving animals, like Humane Society-type organizations.

Reactions: 1 user
Your concerns are appropriate. Your OR job can be listed under Employment - Nonclinical. It's valuable experience, but would not count toward the adcomm expectation of active engagement/experience with human patients in medical facilities. Training new hires can be listed separately under Leadership or Teaching. Your Volunteering - Nonclinical "counts" even if some of it was with agencies serving animals, like Humane Society-type organizations.

Thanks for the help! Due to me changing pretty late, I am open to a gap year to get more clinical experience. Would you say that's a good idea?

Thanks for the help! Due to me changing pretty late, I am open to a gap year to get more clinical experience. Would you say that's a good idea?
Yes. You don't want to be perceived as having made an impulsive choice. Your "Why medicine?" essay and experience need to show your decision pathway and how you tested yourself to be sure you are suited to this career. The average applicant has 150 volunteer clinical hours over 1.5 years (longevity counts) and about 50 hours of physician shadowing (ideally including some primary care; longevity not essential).

Reactions: 1 user