Pre-Requisite Courses at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

based_tuskenraider

Reaction score
Hey guys, so when I was in high school I took inorganic chemistry and physics through a community college that is associated with the university I'm at right now. Will these be fine? I took higher level chemistry courses and also biochemistry and I will be taking cellular biophysics.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I cross-referenced with all the schools on my list and most of them don't say anything about community college or say they accept them. The only ones that I seem to be running into issues are U Miami which says you need to take more courses at a university and Case Western which says it will look at them on a "case by case" basis.

I think the answer is that there is no one answer. I had to take my pre-reqs at a CC-level since I was non-trad and working. I ended up e-mailing admissions for many of the schools that I was interested in. Many of them didn't have a problem, but did it result in a strike against me at other places? No clue.

DO schools, with the exception of VCOM, generally seem to be more CC-credit friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the answer is that there is no one answer. I had to take my pre-reqs at a CC-level since I was non-trad and working. I ended up e-mailing admissions for many of the schools that I was interested in. Many of them didn't have a problem, but did it result in a strike against me at other places? No clue.

DO schools, with the exception of VCOM, generally seem to be more CC-credit friendly.
I ended up asking my advisor and they said it's fine because I took them before entering into college. It would've been a problem if I had took them while in university. Like you said very few schools have said they would only accept it on a case-by-case basis or outright will not accept them so I think I should be fine. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine. I was a terrible high school student and didn't even get into a 4 year university. I took 1.5 years in CC and took several prereqs there before transferring to the 4 year university I ended up graduating from. Have I been filtered out by some schools because of that? Who knows. All I know is that I've had 5 interviews with 1A and it hasn't been brought up once.

What's VCOM's policy regarding community college courses? I ask because I interviewed there after completing 21 hours of prerequisites at a CC and they never mentioned it.

What's VCOM's policy regarding community college courses? I ask because I interviewed there after completing 21 hours of prerequisites at a CC and they never mentioned it.

I could 100% be mistaken, but at one point I believe that they weren't accepting some of the science pre-reqs from CC's. Now that i'm reviewing their page, I see nothing to that effect beyond stating regionally accredited college or university. Probably safe to say i'm wrong then with my earlier post (at least about VCOM) :)

Reactions: 1 user
I could 100% be mistaken, but at one point I believe that they weren't accepting some of the science pre-reqs from CC's. Now that i'm reviewing their page, I see nothing to that effect beyond stating regionally accredited college or university. Probably safe to say i'm wrong then with my earlier post (at least about VCOM) :)
Colleges have become more lenient over the years I think about CC credits

Colleges have become more lenient over the years I think about CC credits

I think you're right. I heard many posts saying that it would be inadvisable, would be a barrier, etc. I had to comb through the MSAR a bit more thoroughly, but I don't think to any great detriment - have a few A's. I'd be happy if the trend continues as community colleges tend to be a solid option for those taking a more roundabout route to medicine.

I think you're right. I heard many posts saying that it would be inadvisable, would be a barrier, etc. I had to comb through the MSAR a bit more thoroughly, but I don't think to any great detriment - have a few A's. I'd be happy if the trend continues as community colleges tend to be a solid option for those taking a more roundabout route to medicine.
Absolutely, in my personal experience it seems like the colleges who aren’t a fan of cc credits say that they will consider them in a case by case basis or they would want you take higher level courses which isn’t too bad