Pre-reqs for B-school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AznDoc

Ninja of the Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
When applying for a dual degree program what pre-reqs would an applicant need for b-school? "Dr. Nick" made a previous mention to stats, microeconomics, and accounting. Do b-schools have a set number of courses that need to taken in order to apply like medical schools, or do they encourage applicants who were non-business majors? Also, what courses would help in preparing for the GMAT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Emory only requires stats, that's it. I can't comment on other schools though. As for taking the GMAT, you're in med school, that's 3/4 the prep right there. I say, just buy a GMAT book. You can read what I've written about the GMAT on md-mba.org at this URL: http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mward04/applying.html#D

AznDoc said:
Hey guys,
When applying for a dual degree program what pre-reqs would an applicant need for b-school? "Dr. Nick" made a previous mention to stats, microeconomics, and accounting. Do b-schools have a set number of courses that need to taken in order to apply like medical schools, or do they encourage applicants who were non-business majors? Also, what courses would help in preparing for the GMAT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

were you talking about undergrad or mba?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Flindophile and Mike Ward. I just wanted to make sure that when application time comes, that I have met all of the pre-reqs to be accepted into both programs. It is nice to know that there are no specific requirements to be eligible for b-school, but I don't think it would hurt me to get some accounting and economics under my belt. Thanks for the advice, and if you think of anything else, keep it coming.

Here are the Prereq's for my school

1. Stats
2. Macro and Micro Economics
3. Financial and Managerial Accounting
4. Finance

Now, there is one thing to keep in mind about all of this. Many business schools have prereq graduate courses. In other words, accelerated graduate courses that get you past your prereq's. So, for example, my school did it like this:

1. Stats and Finance were combined into one course
2. Macro and Micro were combined into one course
3. Finance along with Managerial/Financial accounting were combined into one course.

This is a rather common method of knocking out the prereq's in good time.

By the way, here is the link to my MBA program:

http://www.cameron.edu/graduate/general/catalog/mba.html