Pre-reqs at CC? need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabotai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a degree in Business/Computer Science from a four year university, with a gpa of 3.98. I have a second degree in nursing a BSN, with a 3.97 gpa. I am currently finishing my FNP at a top ten university(overall and medical school) with a 3.98 gpa. My question is, due to my desire to go to medical school, would taking my pre-req classes a community college hurt my chances even after I have degrees from more than 1 four year university? I don't have the time or the money to not work during the few classes I would need. If you are wondering why I want to be an MD, it is because I work in the OR and want to be a surgeon. I basically will have thousands of hours shadowing, and will have been involved with thousands of surgeries.

Thanks for any help...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Talk about being in a horrible spot. You wasted the time of a business and computer science program, which wouldn't be a big deal if you hadn't wasted the time of a BSN program and an FNP program. Anyone that sees your application will think you're just career jumping and don't know what you want in life. Then you want to be accepted on the basis of going into surgery when the shortage is family medicine. I think you should chill out for the next 3 to 5 years before considering applying to medical school. Clearly you are making bad decision after bad decision. For all you know, you'll quit surgery to start a law career.

HI! I am new here was wondering if someone could tell me how to post a new thread? I would really appreciate it! THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad :)
The programs were paid and did their jobs. I completed every degree with honors. I spent years in every job. The fact I see myself as being able to achieve more shouldn't be a negative in this situation.

The programs were paid and did their jobs. I completed every degree with honors. I spent years in every job. The fact I see myself as being able to achieve more shouldn't be a negative in this situation.
Well, we could talk about should and shouldn't all we want, but reality is what matters at the end of the day. Nurses already have a harder time getting into medical school. You have a nurse practitioner degree on top of the usual nurses having problems. It has nothing to do with money but rather the fact that you're wasting the time of schools that are trying to train people to meet the shortage of primary care when that spot could have gone to someone that would have used it. These schools are not only trying to gain revenue but contribute to health care, which is something that a business major like you probably has a hard time realizing. Try changing your attitude or you're going to be in for a world of hurt. An ADCOM will laugh at your face if you try to get smart saying they got paid.

By the way, you couldn't have "spent years" at the jobs when you're currently finishing your program.

4 years as a programmer and 3 years as an OR nurse. You are correct though no years as a practicing NP, but I realized after 1.5 years into the program I do not want to be an NP. There is just no point in quitting with a year left to finish it. Thanks for your input so far.

4 years as a programmer and 3 years as an OR nurse. You are correct though no years as a practicing NP, but I realized after 1.5 years into the program I do not want to be an NP. There is just no point in quitting with a year left to finish it. Thanks for your input so far.
I agree that quitting is definitely not a good option. However, you need to find a convincing way to prove that you are absolutely sure you want to become a physician (and surgeon). You will be heavily questioned as you why after 3 years as an OR nurse you didn't get a hint that you wanted medical school and that it took 1.5 years into NP you realized you hated it. Did you have no idea what you were getting into when you went the NP route? I get it, stuff happens. Life changes and interests change. However, to the ADCOMS you're just a stranger that will need to seriously convince them that you're not going to find out a few years into it that you hate medicine. Do you see how a stranger looking at your application will immediately question these things?

As for your CC question, 4-year is strongly preferable over community college, although CC is not a deal breaker. However, given your past with multiple professions, you will need to show 100% commitment to medicine, which can't happen if you go to a CC because you want to keep your nursing job.