Pre-req courses taken 10 years ago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvnguyen1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a Master Degree in computer science, but now decided to become a physician. I've been taking Chemistry and Bio courses for the Medical School requirement.
1. I took Calculus and Physics 10 years ago. Do I need to take them again? 2. I'm taking Cell/Molecular Bio this semester. Should I take Genetic next semester?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I took Calculus and Physics 10 years ago. Do I need to take them again? 2. I'm taking Cell/Molecular Bio this semester. Should I take Genetic next semester?

1. Most schools won't mind, BUT make sure you do well enough on the MCAT to prove that you're still good. I was in a similar boat (chem/calc = 9 years old, physics = 7 years old) and it hasn't been a problem for me.

2. Whatever you take for bio, just make sure that you've got the labs associated with the classes. Also, keep in mind that if you only take Cell/Mol and genetics, you'll still have some stuff to learn for the MCAT.

I finished calc-based physics in 1988, applied in 2007, and got away with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a Master Degree in computer science, but now decided to become a physician. I've been taking Chemistry and Bio courses for the Medical School requirement.

A lot of folks would advise you to retake the science prereqs over again if it's been as long as a decade. Most schools don't have a hard and fast rule on this, but most do like to see recent science courses. So that means it probably pays to redo the physics, but I wouldn't bother with the calc. Genetics is not a prereq for most med schools, and it's not really something that you need to preview before you get to med school, and won't give you a huge leg up having had it. I would take biochem before I'd bother with that one, because a decent number of med schools have made biochem a prereq, and a lot of others "recommend" it now. But even that one isn't critical -- you can get into and do fine in med school with just the prereqs. Also if you don't have a year of english courses somewhere in your academic history, you are going to need those -- that's a prereq as well.

In short, the prereqs are two semesters of bio with labs, two semesters of gen chem with labs, two semesters of orgo with labs, two semesters of physics with labs, a year of english, and a year of "math". Some places require biochem. One or two require the math to be calculus. I think one place requires statistics.

Before you apply to a specific school, ask them about any expiring pre-reqs. Most schools don't care but a handful will so don't waste your money applying there if you are not planning to retake these.

If your Cell/Molecular Bio course is heavy in Genetics,then you don't need to take an additional semester of Genetics unless you are planning to apply to a school that has a specific Genetics requirement (or you just want to take the course). Many Cell/Molec Bio courses have a strong genetic componet.

Thanks for replying. I've finished General Chem 1 last summer and taking General Chem 2 and Cellular/Molelular Bio this semester. I'm going to take Organic Chem 1 next semester. I'm working as a software engineer during the day time. I don't mean to brag about have been managing to stay at the top of my two classes in both General Chem 2 (I've got top score on the midterm) and Cellular/Molelular Bio this semester. Just want to provide some background info for the following questions:

1. Will I be able to handle Organic Chem 1 (T, Th nights) and another Physics class (M, W nights)? Both of these are at a community college. I plan to take Physics 3 - Fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, optics & modern physics. Will this Physics class help with the MCAT? Shoud I take the Physics 3 class or should I just concentrate on getting an A in Organic Chem 1? I've got a C in this Physics 3 class about 10 years ago when I wanted to study electrical engineer after getting my bachelor in computer science. Is it a good idea to repeat it? Or should I take Physics 1 or Physics 2? I got B's in both of Physics 1 (mechanic) and Physics 2 (electromagnetic) classes before.

2. The General Chem 2 class that I'm taking right now has online lecture, but the lab session is in traditional classroom, and the professor also gives lecture during the lab session too. This is from an accredited college. Will they accept it?

Thanks for replying. I've finished General Chem 1 last summer and taking General Chem 2 and Cellular/Molelular Bio this semester. I'm going to take Organic Chem 1 next semester. I'm working as a software engineer during the day time. I don't mean to brag about have been managing to stay at the top of my two classes in both General Chem 2 (I've got top score on the midterm) and Cellular/Molelular Bio this semester. Just want to provide some background info for the following questions:

1. Will I be able to handle Organic Chem 1 (T, Th nights) and another Physics class (M, W nights)? Both of these are at a community college. I plan to take Physics 3 - Fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, optics & modern physics. Will this Physics class help with the MCAT? Shoud I take the Physics 3 class or should I just concentrate on getting an A in Organic Chem 1? I've got a C in this Physics 3 class about 10 years ago when I wanted to study electrical engineer after getting my bachelor in computer science. Is it a good idea to repeat it? Or should I take Physics 1 or Physics 2? I got B's in both of Physics 1 (mechanic) and Physics 2 (electromagnetic) classes before.

2. The General Chem 2 class that I'm taking right now has online lecture, but the lab session is in traditional classroom, and the professor also gives lecture during the lab session too. This is from an accredited college. Will they accept it?

These are questions for the medical schools that you apply to. Some schools (many) won't have a problem with your proposed course work but some will. If your main choices are schools that do have a problem with community college work or online work, then you need to know that up front.

As far as classes helping with the MCAT: you can go to the MCAT site and download a list of subjects for the Physical Sciences and the Biological Sciences. Take those lists and compare them with the syllabus of your proposed course to see if the subjects will be covered. Also, be sure to ask the instructor of the depth will be sufficient for MCAT prep. You have to be proactive about these things before you spend your tuition dollars.