Pre-Optometry Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2020doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm in 3rd year undergrad right now and summer is coming up. I have jobshadowed at various practices before however never got a legitimate job at any of then. I am wondering what else I can do this summer to help with my application as my GPA is not good. Jobshadowing is good but it gets kinda old after while! I am just wondering if there are other ways to be involved in optometry this summer.

Also, for those undergrads who have worked in an optometry practice, what responsibilities did you guys have there? And how did you guys get the job? - just by asking?

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you for some reason really want to limit your ECs to optometry, the only thing I can think of include:
1) getting a job [I would frown on this if you only intended to do this for 3 summer months]
2) shadowing
3) contact your local optometric society and see if they need any helping hands for events, volunteer gigs, etc

I wouldn't hire anybody who just asked for a job. You get a job by responding to job postings. I've had students attending college be my #1 staff member by doing everything from acting as an optician, verifying insurances, scheduling and answering phones, sales and adjustments, orders, pre-testing; essentially running everything except dealing with finances and the actual exam which would be left for the doctor/manager.

Retail stores tend to have tons of employee over-turn, especially the really shady ones that burn out good employees, so you can easily find a job. But beware working retail if it is something you've never done before because the retail world can be soul-crushing, even for doctors.

A couple more ideas that might not be related directly to optometry, but will help with a low GPA.

Check out your local lions club, or any local club that recycles used glasses to give back to those in need and voulenteer there. You can find them online if you look hard enough.

If you want a job, and can not find anything directly related to optometry, try applying to a lab or other types of jobs that look good on applications. Students get summer jobs all of the time, nothing to frown on.

There are tons of mission trips to third world countries. There might even be some directly to optometry. Even if you can't find one that is directly related to optometry, mission trips are great because you show that you want to help people and that you give back to the community/people in need.

Also, contact schools you are interested in and see if they have any upcoming open houses or a tour you can take. Showing interest and introducing yourself to the advisors early on never hurts and might help you out later on in the process if they remember you. A little effort here goes a long way.

Last edited: