Pre-Opt Clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc2tarheels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some extracirriculars to get in with. Are there any pre-health EC's that I could join up with. I have PLENTY of work experience and shadowing experience. I'm an optician as well and have a 3.7 gpa. But I'd like to add to that list and get some EC's on my application. I'm currently on the deans list and in the honor society but need more. THanks in advance for the help.
Keith

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any pre-optometry clubs at your school? Maybe you could join those. Also, if there's a Prevent Blindness near you, you could probably do vision screenings with them. They're really a great organization and I love volunteering with them!

Members don't see this ad :)
nc2tarheels, you seem like you have enough on your stats sheet. If you have a decent OAT score to go along with your gpa and experience, you don't really need to join any pre-health clubs or affiliations. In my opinion, you already have a really good chance to get in to optometry school. So don't worry if you can't find a pre-health club. Just have something for extra-curriculars like a sport or music affiliation.

Thanks for the advice. I like my application as is, but I'm trying to get in after just 3 years ;-) So the more the merrier. There are no pre-opt clubs and I'm not sure on the blindness organizations, I'll google it and check around.

i applied during my 3rd year and got into all the schools i applied for. Im sure you will be able to do the same.

what I mean is I'd like to get in without a bachelors. :)
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

Most schools I applied to didn't care too much about the ECs. They cared more about the shadowing/work experience during interviews. You seem to have a lot going on, so I don't think you would have any problems. As for my ECs in undergrad, I was highly involved with a business fraternity and SUNY seemed interested with that during my interview. Meanwhile, Berkeley interviewers sounded more interested in my vision screening experience with Prevent Blindness. I don't recall SCCO asking about my ECs. In any case, its kinda minor.

When I was accepted into NECO, ICO, PCO, and SUNY, none of them had a condition that I had to graduate with a degree of any sorts. I had completed all the required courses and that is all they worry about. My stats are around a 3.5 gpa and a 350/360 OAT score. So if you are around that, I think you have a sound chance. Hope that helps.

wow dubs, you have a good OAT score though.

i just got lucky hehe...but anything above a 330 i think would be fine.

I'm a sniper when I play paintball, do you think sniping skills help you on your EC? I have a long range scope and everything...

What college are you going to. I go to NCState and we have a huge pre-health club with a pre-opt club too. Also, I volunteered with Prevent Blindness NC. They are in Raleigh, but they may go other places as well.

that site is very helpful and seems pretty cool. I'd LOVE to do something like that. But it also seems very expensive. Is there ways that I can be involved and become a volunteer without having to travel across seas. (I have no problem with the travel, but I'm a poor college student, haha)
I've worked in the field for a very long time and feel that I could contribute in some other way?