Pre-MS 1 Jitters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jekel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting a little nervous about starting school this fall? Starting to have a few doubts about my abilities.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let it get to ya... everyone... EVERYONE gets those. You may never hear them say it, but they do. Everyone has preconceived notions about medical school... that it will be the end of their social life, that they won't be able to do well on the tests, that its too much information, the tests will be too hard and people will committ suicide...

But the truth is... it is manageable (although may require some different study habits or what not), and people DO do well. (I am a perfect example... I *relatively* slacked throughout college, okay test taker, but dominated in medical school, and still had a good time). Even now I doubt my abilities (as a new medical school grad) that I will be a good EM resident... but that's just part of "growing up" in the medical profession.

One thing that may help those jitters is some good ol' ethanol. Straight from the *new* doctor's mouth.

Q, DO

Now, no worries okay? If you got in you accomplished the most difficult part of medical school. Take your own pulse, relax and get er' done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im jittery too, but I normally get that way with big life transitions. I like Quinn's advice on the EtOH, very sound. In general her(his?) advice is pretty good in all the posts I've read.
Quinn, you are a girl? Yes? For some reason I was confused on that, despite the comments about the D's.:D

Girl... boy... man... woman... what's the difference?

There is always a lot of "jitteriness" about big life transitions... everyone gets it (most people won't admit it). Changing elementary schools, graduating high school, starting college, MCATs, etc... some people look to be "Cool Hand Luke" but deep down they're just as jittery.

But remember! Along with this jitteriness comes brand new *lifelong* friends in medical school, FINALLY being involved in something you have wanted for who knows how long (instead of being in orgo lab, you are now doing prostate or pelvic exams, whatever you like), and a new scenery.

Fun fun fun.

Q, DO

Indeed, the difference isn't particularly important. Hope that question didn't...um...rub you the wrong way.

jekel, looks like we are the only one's who are comfortable enough sharing our insecurities and fears. Perhaps we should start a support group.;)

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Everyone has preconceived notions about medical school... that it will be the end of their social life, that they won't be able to do well on the tests, that its too much information, the tests will be too hard and people will committ suicide...

Just be careful out there, that's a very true statement. If ever any of you suspect a colleague having problems, ask for some professional help. Sometimes I wish I did. Too bad I can't go back in time to help out a fellow colleague and friend. Take it easy, relax, and you'll all do fine. I enjoyed my first two years of med school (relatively speaking). Now I'm looking forward to the clinics.:clap:

I'm actually looking forward to this endeavor. I can't think of a better way to stay humble. :D
Best Wishes,
JJ

Originally posted by daveyboy
jekel, looks like we are the only one's who are comfortable enough sharing our insecurities and fears. Perhaps we should start a support group.;)

Let's do it!:laugh:

Just thought I would throw my two cents in.....
I was really nervous about beginning medical school too. I think I had watched too many movies and tv shows, regarding the rigors of med school. Sure it is hard and trying on your energy and concentration, but bottom line is.......everyone is in the same boat. Some people will have strengths in some areas (mine was respiratory and anatomy) and hopefully those people will help the others along the way.

Look, if I can get through my first year of med school and still be sane and not to have flunked out, then anyone can. I am not at the top of the class but I am not at the bottom either. And I guarantee you that sometime this year you will feel bogged down by everything and wonder why in the hell you decided to become a doctor. It happened to me a few times this year, but usually by the next day everything is fine. I freaked out during finals week at the end of the year. I just got up and left lecture and wandered around for like an hour. Just seemed that everything hit me at once. I usually do not crack under pressure, but I did that one time. I don't think it will happen again, at least during my last year of didatics.

Anyway, have fun with the rest of your summer and be ready for game time in August!!!

Chris

Yes, jekel, we will start the MS1 In Touch With Our Sensitive Sides Support Society, or MS1ITWOSSS for short. We can have a yearly retreat in Santa Fe or some other sensitive locale.:D

Seriously, the best way to combat the jitters is to keep a relaxed attitude and try to get regular exercise. Plus, just talking about the jitters seems to make them go away.

Rock on!:horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
And can we have our retreats in Sedona, AZ?

Seriously, I have been nervous about starting school for a while. Mainly because I have been away from school for 4 years. So I'm nervous. I think it stems from my (and probably most pre-meds) fear of failure. We've struggled, we've studied, we've sacrificed along this journey. And now we are getting ready to hit the rapids and see what we are really made of.

WE CAN DO IT!! :clap: :clap:

Zippy

Sedona sounds good!

Hey ZIppy,
I can relate-Ive been outta school for 2 years, but its felt like forever! Its a much easier life just working, so I am definently paraniod about starting med school. What med school are you going to, outta curiousity? I have had dreams..(or nightmares?) of being in med school and missing an exam, or not studying, etc. I think it may just hit me like a sack of rocks the first week or so, but I am sure I will adjust. I am having fun in the few weeks still left, and relaxing. I just figure that I am not at the bottom of the barrel, so I dont think I'll flunk out. And Lord knows I will be giving it all I got.

I'm going to TUCOM. How about yourself?

I understand about the whole dream thing. I have sat up in the middle of the night and went to make sure the letter said I actually got in, because I have this darn re-occuring nightmare that I get there for orientation and they can't find my name on the list. Argh. I am SO taking my acceptance letter with me to orientation. Just in case:D .

I think I will probably overstudy for the first few weeks, out of plain o' fear, then I'll realize I'm being silly and settle into a nice routine.

My last day of work is July 11 and then we are traveling until the 3rd of Aug (orientation starts on the 6th). I am going to fight the urge to take a book with me and try to "study" while on vacation.

The nervousness about starting med school is natural and it will begin to go away once school gets rolling along. You'll begin to prove to yourself that you can keep up with the study material and that you can pass the tests. But the nervousness has to be looked at in a good way. It's what partially gives us a drive to succeed but with a conservative edge to our efforts so that we don't overconfidentally start making mass errors. You're going to meet so many cool people (though a few a-holes too). . .you've got lots of great experiences ahead of you. Enjoy it as it goes because it will go, and next thing you know you'll be in my position gettin ready to start 3rd year with the same uncertainties about what rotation experiences will be like.

I hear ya Zippy, I have a recurring nightmare kinda like that. Mine involves my Cal2 class, I haven't gone to class in a week and missed a test and impending failure is looming. Same thing every time, I wake up freaked out and realize after a few seconds that I did graduate and everything is fine.

Ahhhh, there is nothing quite so great as being neurotic :)

Originally posted by DrZippy2b

Seriously, I have been nervous about starting school for a while. Mainly because I have been away from school for 4 years. So I'm nervous. I think it stems from my (and probably most pre-meds) fear of failure. We've struggled, we've studied, we've sacrificed along this journey. And now we are getting ready to hit the rapids and see what we are really made of.

I totally agree with this. I have this horrific fear that I'm somehow sneaked under the adcom's radar and I will be exposed b/c I'll do horribly in school. I tell myself that I've earned this and I wouldn't have made it had I not deserved to be here, but still. When you put so many thousands of hours (not to mention your life) into something, failure becomes a fairly mortifying suggestion.

Originally posted by Rev. Horace
[B I have this horrific fear that I'm somehow sneaked under the adcom's radar and I will be exposed b/c I'll do horribly in school.. [/B]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: WOW. You are in my brain! Hope I can stay off their radar until I graduate in four years!

Aaah! More people are starting to fess up to having anxiety. Daveyboy, are support group is really taking off!:D

I am deeply touched by this emotional communion. :love:

Ya know, lately I have been feeling less jittery, and I hardly ever have that Cal2 dream anymore.

Hey Guys,
My name is Anthony and I have the Pre-MS1 jitters...I'd like to wish everyone else good luck and everyone of us will succeed. Always be sure of yourself...it can't be a mistake since there is more than 1 person, more like a group or 4-10 who evaluated every student who sent in an application. They wouldn't have let you in if you weren't good enough.