Pre-Med student in serious need for help/advice !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trustmedanny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a biology major who one day hopes to go for PA or MD.
I know my circumstances are very very slim , you do not need to tell me that.

I am going to a state school and following coursework for a BS in Biology.

My Freshman year I took gen. chem 1+2 (B,B) , psychology(C+), bio1 (C) and other courses and ended up with a 2.9.

My sophomore year i took organic 1 (d+), retook orgo 1 (B), calculus (b-), sociology (B), etc

ended w a 3.0 my sophomore yr.

I shadowed my pcp the summer after freshman yr
i am currently studying to become an EMT this summer and join and volunteer at the organization at my school.

I have the option to switch my major to a Human Bio major and i heard it is more compatible with the requirements for PA.

OR

I can risk the next 2 years with taking the rest of the courses in order to get a BS in Bio.
(courses such as physics, biochem, microbio, etc)

What should i do ?
switch to a human bio major and go for pa?
stay w bio and see what i can do w my grades after i graduate ?

Could i possibly take a post-bac program to boost my gpa ?

My head is in the clouds right now as I am trying to plan out next semester and visualize the next few years .Any advice , tips or help is greatly appreciated !

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going to tell you chances are "slim", they are terrible.

Also, PA school is not easy, and may be in some aspects, more difficult to get into as seemingly, more and more are heading in that direction.

English doesn't seem to be your first language either, and that may be the issue. Otherwise, figure out what you are doing wrong, or go to your school's learning center.

Forget majors and career fields at this point. You're doing poorly and you need to fix that first. You don't think about "Should I drive to St Louis or Chicago?" when your radiator is leaking fluid badly.

Hence, get thee to your school's learning or education center and get help with study styles, time mgt, test taking skills etc.

Then figure out what you want to do.

I am a biology major who one day hopes to go for PA or MD.
I know my circumstances are very very slim , you do not need to tell me that.

I am going to a state school and following coursework for a BS in Biology.

My Freshman year I took gen. chem 1+2 (B,B) , psychology(C+), bio1 (C) and other courses and ended up with a 2.9.

My sophomore year i took organic 1 (d+), retook orgo 1 (B), calculus (b-), sociology (B), etc

ended w a 3.0 my sophomore yr.

I shadowed my pcp the summer after freshman yr
i am currently studying to become an EMT this summer and join and volunteer at the organization at my school.

I have the option to switch my major to a Human Bio major and i heard it is more compatible with the requirements for PA.

OR

I can risk the next 2 years with taking the rest of the courses in order to get a BS in Bio.
(courses such as physics, biochem, microbio, etc)

What should i do ?
switch to a human bio major and go for pa?
stay w bio and see what i can do w my grades after i graduate ?

Could i possibly take a post-bac program to boost my gpa ?

My head is in the clouds right now as I am trying to plan out next semester and visualize the next few years .Any advice , tips or help is greatly appreciated !

Reactions: 1 user