pre med school derm research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

i took a year off after undergrad/before med school and did some derm research in the mean time. it looks like i'll have a publication in j invest dermatol and j biol chem within a few months (prolly both 2nd author) and one conference presentation (pigment cell research). after working in the lab, i became pretty interested in dermatology and i was wondering if my research might help me when it comes time to applying for residency (even tho the research was before med school started)? im also interested in cardiology so im going to be working in a basic sci cardio lab during my first two years of med school just in case i want to do that. does it look bad if i dont continue with derm research in med school and pursue cadrio research instead?
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

No. If you're equally interested in both, you'll serve yourself better by gaining experience in both. Good luck.

cardiology fellowship is following 3 years of internal medicine residency and selection for the fellowship is usually based on performance in residency and research DURING residency.

That being said, you should get cardiology exposure to see if it interests you, but I would spend the research time in dermatology. It sounds like you have a good foundation to build upon. Cardiology research while in medical school will be of little benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
wooo said:
cardiology fellowship is following 3 years of internal medicine residency and selection for the fellowship is usually based on performance in residency and research DURING residency.

That being said, you should get cardiology exposure to see if it interests you, but I would spend the research time in dermatology. It sounds like you have a good foundation to build upon. Cardiology research while in medical school will be of little benefit.

thanos for the advice. would doing derm resarch be useless if i decide to do a internal med residency?

chitown82 said:
thanos for the advice. would doing derm resarch be useless if i decide to do a internal med residency?

Any type of research or publication is great and gives you more points on your resume/CV. However, if you apply to a particular residency program (say "Derm") and they see that you've done research in their field of medicine, then you'll get more points than an applicant of similar caliber who did research in another field (say "radiology").

porokeratosis said:
Any type of research or publication is great and gives you more points on your resume/CV. However, if you apply to a particular residency program (say "Derm") and they see that you've done research in their field of medicine, then you'll get more points than an applicant of similar caliber who did research in another field (say "radiology").

makes sense. thank you!