This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which job would be more beneficial to me as a pre-med student for upcoming semester (Freshman)?

• a) research lab

• b) internal medicine office (clinical experience)

Results are only viewable after voting.

sailboatgorilla

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first time using this site as I am a freshman undergrad student currently. I was just seeking advice on which job option I should pursue for the upcoming semester. Here are my two options and thoughts on both:

a) work on one of my biology professor's research projects
As far as I know I would set my own hours and obviously get the advantage of working hands-on in a lab setting. I know that research can be a big advantage and look really nice on a medical school application in the years to come.

b) work at a local physician's office as a medical scribe in a specific pre-med program
I would get some hands on, clinical experience early on, which I know is necessary for applying. Students have been known to either love this job or really hate it.

I know that either option will be beneficial for me, and that is why I am having a hard time making the decision. Leave honest opinions and advice, please! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! This is my first time using this site as I am a freshman undergrad student currently. I was just seeking advice on which job option I should pursue for the upcoming semester. Here are my two options and thoughts on both:

As far as I know I would set my own hours and obviously get the advantage of working hands-on in a lab setting. I know that research can be a big advantage and look really nice on a medical school application in the years to come.

b) work at a local physician's office as a medical scribe in a specific pre-med program
I would get some hands on, clinical experience early on, which I know is necessary for applying. Students have been known to either love this job or really hate it.

I know that either option will be beneficial for me, and that is why I am having a hard time making the decision. Leave honest opinions and advice, please! :)
Are they both paid positions, and how does the pay rate vary? Is the scribing in person, or online? What would your role be in the research lab? How many hours does each require, and are both equally flexible, hours-wise, so as to work around your school and testing schedule?

Also, if that is your personal photo, please change it, as we encourage anonymity here on SDN.

Reactions: 2 users

As a freshman in UG focus on good grades and if you have to work pick whatever has the least strain on your time. Once you get a semester under the belt look to increase the time you are working. Just my opinion coming from someone whose grades suffered because I worked too much in UG.

Reactions: 2 users
Are they both paid positions, and how does the pay rate vary? Is the scribing in person, or online? What would your role be in the research lab? How many hours does each require, and are both equally flexible, hours-wise, so as to work around your school and testing schedule?

Also, if that is your personal photo, please change it, as we encourage anonymity here on SDN.
Thank you so much for the advice on using the site- I am brand new here and am still learning the guidelines!

Reactions: 1 user