pre-med classes vs ap hs classes?

pie741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyone could compare the two, pre-med classes taken during college and compared to general AP classes in HS?:confused: i was wondering if i would need to step up big time or if i would hardly notice the change in difficulty. i know alot of you guys toke the same classes, just need a general picture of what you went through from hs Ap classes to pre-med classes.

side note: I'm in honor roll with a gpa of 4.0, 4.2,4.3, and mostly likely final quarter 4.4 gpa for sophomore year taking the highest level courses available including Ap Euro, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

They're comparable. If you take a lot of AP classes in high school, your first year or two in college really won't be a big step up in difficulty. In fact, I find that having more time in the week outside of class gives me much more time to study, which actually makes college easier in my opinion. At least, like I said, for the first year or two.

quick question do you go to a UC? if you don't i have a more general question is the first 2 years of college reviewish if you toke Ap classes, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't. And yes, if you've taken AP then the corresponding class in college will be in large part review. That's not to say they are blow-offs, however... But you will have seen the material before.

just wondering what was your hs gpa? and secondly does it really make a difference if i choose to take a major in high school that is offered at my school called Healthcare Professionals and Allied Health. i mean it seems interesting it has stuff like ap anat. and H medical biology. Thing is everyone in one of my ap or honors classes is in all my other classes guess i could just ask instead of bothering you....

i was just wondering if anyone could compare the two, pre-med classes taken during college and compared to general AP classes in HS?:confused: i was wondering if i would need to step up big time or if i would hardly notice the change in difficulty. i know alot of you guys toke the same classes, just need a general picture of what you went through from hs Ap classes to pre-med classes.

side note: I'm in honor roll with a gpa of 4.0, 4.2,4.3, and mostly likely final quarter 4.4 gpa for sophomore year taking the highest level courses available including Ap Euro, etc...

it really depends on where you're going to college, because not every college's class difficulty level is the same, and beyond that, not every professor teaches or grades the same way, so you're going to run into variation with class difficulty depending on where you're taking the class, when you take the class, who's teaching it, who your TAs are, etc. there are definitely a lot of factors going into this, so it's safe to say that EVEN if you do not notice a large change in difficulty, you should try to put in as much effort as you can to get the grade that you want in the class, which is most likely an A, correct?

p.s. my personal experience - current senior at UC Berkeley, graduated from high school with a 4.6, IB diploma (full, not just one or two tests), AP scholar with distinction, National Merit Finalist... but i still found the standard pre-med classes at Berkeley kinda difficult

My gpa in high school was a 3.6 or 3.7 on a 4.0 scale (we were on a 7.0 scale). If that "major" appeals to you (that is, you find it interesting), then take it. If you can pull off A's in hard classes, it's never a bad thing.

What interests you is easier to study. What is easier to study is easier to get a good grade in.

it really depends on where you're going to college, because not every college's class difficulty level is the same, and beyond that, not every professor teaches or grades the same way, so you're going to run into variation with class difficulty depending on where you're taking the class, when you take the class, who's teaching it, who your TAs are, etc. there are definitely a lot of factors going into this, so it's safe to say that EVEN if you do not notice a large change in difficulty, you should try to put in as much effort as you can to get the grade that you want in the class, which is most likely an A, correct?

p.s. my personal experience - current senior at UC Berkeley, graduated from high school with a 4.6, IB diploma (full, not just one or two tests), AP scholar with distinction, National Merit Finalist... but i still found the standard pre-med classes at Berkeley kinda difficult

what would you say a average gpa of most admitted med students was in h.s., a good estimate of what i'm competing with here.:scared:

what would you say a average gpa of most admitted med students was in h.s., a good estimate of what i'm competing with here.:scared:

i can't really say much about other colleges, but i know for Berkeley, most of the pre-meds (or at least the ones that stick it out for the whole 4 years and don't change their career plans) here come from mostly academic-focused high schools, so probably at least a 4.0 on a 5.0 scale, or a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. it's probably safe to say that if you choose to attend a college with more academic prestige, expect tougher competition, because everyone around you will be at about the same academic level.

which is why choosing a major that you actually LIKE is really important (like someone else above me has already stated) - if you're studying a subject you like, you'll be more likely to do well in it, and that's all you really need to worry about (aside from the MCAT, extracurriculars, etc. of course).

not every professor teaches or grades the same way, so you're going to run into variation with class difficulty depending on where you're taking the class, when you take the class, who's teaching it, who your TAs are, etc. there are definitely a lot of factors going into this

Very, very true. Definitely do all you can to research prospective professors (when given the choice) before taking a class with them. But, as coffeeandtea said, you should put forth all you can in every class... Even if you can get an A with less effort, you might be seeing departmental awards coming your way if you really go above and beyond.

You have toally destroyed high school.

I took a bunch of AP classes in high school... considering everything including the exam - they don't really compare to the difficulty level at major universities. That being said: take the credit and run with it! Take upper levels if you want, you'll love not having to compete with tons of other premeds in intro classes with rough curves :(

I graduated from Berkeley so I can tell you that AP classes and pre-med classes are very different in comparison.

Although AP classes were challenging and there was a lot of material to master, if you did your homework and followed along, you would do well.

When I took science courses at Berkeley, it was a different story. To make it short, they don't like giving A's. You either have to be a genius or you have to work very very hard to master the material.

I've talked to those who graduated from Berkeley and went onto medical school and they all say that Berkeley was a lot harder than med school. the only difference is that the intensity in med school is crazy hard. there is so much material it's like drinking from a fire hose.

so to put it short, if you go to a school like Berkeley, be humble and work hard. High school AP classes are very different.

so to put it short, if you go to a school like Berkeley, be humble and work hard. High school AP classes are very different.

couldn't have said it better. the whole "humble" thing was difficult for me, especially when i thought that i came from a rigorous academic high school... boy, did Berkeley prove me wrong :slap:

couldn't have said it better. the whole "humble" thing was difficult for me, especially when i thought that i came from a rigorous academic high school... boy, did Berkeley prove me wrong :slap:

coffeeandtea!

you went to berkeley?? nice!

what year are you? I'm class 2006

I did all APs my senior year (5 or 6, can't remember) and honestly, college is A LOT harder. I think I studied more in a couple week in college than I ever studied in HS. Basically, don't think it will be a breeze, go in there ready to study and you will be fine.

TBH, I found AP classes to be absolutely easier than college.

Let me just put it this way, I had around a final of around 4.5 my junior year yet I never actually studied until I came to college. I actually learned how to study once I got here. You're a smart kid, I'm sure you understand where I'm going with this.