Pre-med 101

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitten908

Reaction score
Hello SDN community!
I'm so glad to be here and officially begin my long journey in the fascinating field of medicine!

Here is my profile:
BS Computer Science - Graduated in 2013 (non-US, but equated to US credits) cGPA 2.75/4
MS Computer Science- State university- Graduating in May cGPA 3.5

I'm in Washington State and was just admitted to a local community college to take science pre-reqs.
Which courses do I need to take? Will my previous educational background be considered?
I'm planning to work as an MA to gain the required clinical hours. I plan to take all science courses on a DIY curriculum and sit for the MCAT late next year. How does my plan sound, is there anything else I should do to stand out? I plan to broadly apply to med schools when I do, especially those in the west coast.
I am a US citizen too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the pre-med party pal. You can look up the prereq courses required for each of the schools you're interested on their websites. I believe AMCAS also posts a bunch of school requirements in one master document but unsure if they have an updated one out. I think your past transcripts will need to be submitted and would be factored into your overall GPA. There are prereqs that I imagine you will require a lab portion so see if your cc offers them or your local university.

A question you're going to have to answer in your application and interviews are, why do you want to do medicine after all of the CS training? There seems to be a growing emphasis on finding students who display their desire to help others in a variety of means including meaningful non-clinical volunteering, working to support your community, etc. (Not to mention shadowing) This may take additional time to get everything done. Reinvention feels like an incredibly long path but it's really important to stay on top of it to give yourself the best shot.

LOL I'm currently considering leaving medicine for CS hahaha

There's a post on here somewhere. Search "SDN wisdom all premeds should know" I think Lawpy is on it somewhere

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL I'm currently considering leaving medicine for CS hahaha

There's a post on here somewhere. Search "SDN wisdom all premeds should know" I think Lawpy is on it somewhere
You're welcome to take my credentials, LOL!

Hello SDN community!
I'm so glad to be here and officially begin my long journey in the fascinating field of medicine!

Here is my profile:
BS Computer Science - Graduated in 2013 (non-US, but equated to US credits) cGPA 2.75/4

I'm in Washington State and was just admitted to a local community college to take science pre-reqs.
Which courses do I need to take? Will my previous educational background be considered?
I'm planning to work as an MA to gain the required clinical hours. I plan to take all science courses on a DIY curriculum and sit for the MCAT late next year. How does my plan sound, is there anything else I should do to stand out? I plan to broadly apply to med schools when I do, especially those in the west coast.
I am a US citizen too.
West coast schools are tough as hell. If you're a strong candidate they'll assume you'll stay in WA. If you're a marginal candidate they won't accept you.

Most students complete the core prerequisites that will give them the broadest options: biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and often biochemistry. Those also get you ready for the MCAT.

With regard to clinical exposure, you need to have enough to know what you're getting yourself into, but there is no requirement to rack up a certain number of hours as an MA, scribe, EMT, etc.

You don't need research, but you will need non-clinical volunteering. A lot of applicants underestimate the importance of this.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hello SDN community!

Here is my profile:

I am a US citizen too.
I was reading an article about personal statements and one director of admissions clearly said to never use the word "fascinating" in a medical school personal statement. So just a head up!

I was reading an article about personal statements and one director of admissions clearly said to never use the word "fascinating" in a medical school personal statement. So just a head up!
What is the wisdom behind that?

What is the wisdom behind that?
I guess it makes the applicant sound "fake." I was reading it the other day too but I don't know what article I saw it in. I've already read a few posts on here where the student says "medicine is fascinating" lol so I hope they don't get that admissions director.

There are some words that are so over-used in personal statements that they start to invoke a cringe reflex. It's actually impressive when someone writes a PS that avoids trite statements, cliches, and fifty-cent words.
Can you please link the article here? I'd love to get a head start on those!

There are some words that are so over-used in personal statements that they start to invoke a cringe reflex. It's actually impressive when someone writes a PS that avoids trite statements, cliches, and fifty-cent words.
Ikr.. I have had my fair share of writing and reviewing apps in tech. I can spot cringe writing when I see one.