Pre-Interview Socials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi-doc

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate some thoughts on the following: I have three interviews back-to-back. To make them all, I would have to miss the socials for the first two. The first program is one that I am likely to rank in the top 3. If I cancel the middle interview I would obviously be able to attend the first social.

Wondering how important the socials are? Worth canceling the second interview (also a reputable program)?

Members don't see this ad.

Forget the socials. Skipping them will neither help nor hurt you. If you attend a social, there is a small chance it would hurt you (if you somehow make a terrible impression that works it's way back to the selection committee), and VERY small chance it would help you (if you knock some socks off and this somehow makes it's way back to the selection committee).

They primarily exist to give applicants a chance to spend some socialize with the current residents and to get a feel for the program, not to weed out the interested from the uninterested. They are definitely not worth cancelling another interview over.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're interested in all three programs I would not cancel an interview to attend a social. The socials are nice, but in my experience ppl understand that the logistics of interview season are difficult. I missed a few socials and it did not negatively impact me.

Agree with above. Programs usually give contact info for current residents, so you can also chat more with the residents after the interview.

Reactions: 1 user