Pre-Health Advisor advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KPstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN members,

Does anyone have advice for any really good pre-health advisor services? There is a really good chance I will have to reapply for next cycle, and really don't know why I was unsuccessful this time around. My university advisor told me to apply to a wide range of schools, including a couple of top 10 schools, and made me feel very confident about my chances, and I only got 2 interviews this time around and so far no acceptances. I really have no idea why, as I thought that I was an extremely competitive applicant and am hoping for the next time to have someone who can really look at my essays and this years application to help me identify what the problems are and what I can do to improve my application.

I will be in Argentina for a few months so need someone I can meet with online. Please let me know if you know of any good people or services, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to post a WAMC style summary of your stats, ECs, and school list.

SDN is the best advising option.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to post a WAMC style summary of your stats, ECs, and school list.

SDN is the best advising option.

I'd rather have a one on one professional counselor. I love getting advice on SDN, but it can be stressful and hard to fully explain one's situation. Thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather have a one on one professional counselor. I love getting advice on SDN, but it can be stressful and hard to fully explain one's situation. Thanks though!
Just be warned that you'll likely pay a lot of money for the same, or worse, advice than a WAMC can provide! I'd at least make an anonymous account and try the WAMC first, and see if you're still lacking a clear issue to target your repairs at afterwards

I heard good words about Ese D. Anne but in all seriousness it's not worth the money you would pay, not even remotely.

PM me if you want. I can try to help as well.

Edit: Just don't pay for pre-health advising. Even if your school doesn't have great advisors (which I realize does happen), there are plenty of other resources at your disposal.

Reactions: 1 users
PM me if you want. I can try to help as well.

Edit: Just don't pay for pre-health advising. Even if your school doesn't have great advisors (which I realize does happen), there are plenty of other resources at your disposal.
Finding people to look over your application through PM is probably your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
I know of someone, will PM the details.

Hey, you trying to ruin my business? In all seriousness, most people who try to hire me dont need me and can be easily set on the right course with info here. As has been advised in the thread, post a WAMC. Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ear-wamc-advice-please.1191695/#post-17595427

Haha of course not! My dream one day is to leave the university setting and do private consulting! People will always pay for convenience and personal attention, especially when it comes to something like this.

I could cut my own grass for free, but I can also pay someone more experienced to do it too.

The best source of advice will always be the school faculty where you apply.

Faculty often know very little about the application process (even at their own school).

Let me rephrase.
OP applies to UX but UX rejects him. OP can go to an indpendent third party who can review the app and make educated guesses regarding the rejection. Those guesses will not be informed by LORs or interviewer/admissions feedback. If he goes to UX and meets with an admissions dean/faculty member privy to that info, he will likely get an accurate understanding of why he was rejected. Many schools offer means to do this.

Let me rephrase.
OP applies to UX but UX rejects him. OP can go to an indpendent third party who can review the app and make educated guesses regarding the rejection. Those guesses will not be informed by LORs or interviewer/admissions feedback. If he goes to UX and meets with an admissions dean/faculty member privy to that info, he will likely get an accurate understanding of why he was rejected. Many schools offer means to do this.
I am told that there are states where the public schools (and the occasional private) are forthcoming in their counseling of unsuccessful applicants. It is a breach of confidentiality to disclose the contents of letters that the applicant has waived the right to see, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am told that there are states where the public schools (and the occasional private) are forthcoming in their counseling of unsuccessful applicants.

My state schools do it and I know a number of applicants who did so in other states. By far the most productive means of guidance in my experience.