Pre-DO Needs Numbers.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a pre-Do applying this June I would like to think I already have an idea of what I want to specialize in Radiology or Emergency Medicine. I am concerned however after looking at SDN about the competetivness of Emergency Medicine. Where can I get some numbers as to DO competetivness. I'd like to know; from how many DO's that apply(one's that really want to be EM Doc's) how many make it into a DO residency.Are there large numbers of people left out in the cold after match? Do you have to go for a MD residency because of limited DO spots? How many DO residency spots are there? Is it possible to apply for match for both EM and Radiology and find out on match day what I get? I don't care if the program is ranked,or the most prestigous. I'm under the impression that everyone that graduates from the residency and passes boards has the same chance of landing a good job,reguardless of where they graduated from.I'd just like to get into a good program, graduate and get to work. I hope this is not a delusion.

Members don't see this ad.

blaze1306 said:
As a pre-Do applying this June I would like to think I already have an idea of what I want to specialize in Radiology or Emergency Medicine. I am concerned however after looking at SDN about the competetivness of Emergency Medicine. Where can I get some numbers as to DO competetivness. I'd like to know; from how many DO's that apply(one's that really want to be EM Doc's) how many make it into a DO residency.Are there large numbers of people left out in the cold after match? Do you have to go for a MD residency because of limited DO spots? How many DO residency spots are there? Is it possible to apply for match for both EM and Radiology and find out on match day what I get? I don't care if the program is ranked,or the most prestigous. I'm under the impression that everyone that graduates from the residency and passes boards has the same chance of landing a good job,reguardless of where they graduated from.I'd just like to get into a good program, graduate and get to work. I hope this is not a delusion.
If you go to medical school, do decent, and don't screw the pooch, you should be able to match into an Emergency Medicine Residency, no problem. DO EM residencies are far far far less competitive, and are almost a "shoo-in." (IMHO). But even an average DO applicant SHOULD be able to match at an MD EM program. Good luck.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think it was that easy to match to a MD EM residency! Even with averge numbers?

blaze1306 said:

EM is a very DO friendly field.

There are many AOA EM spots, and top ACGME residencies have DO's.

The immediate past president of the largest allopathic EM organization (ACEP) is even a DO.

Apollyon said:
Suter is immediate past president. Fred Blum is the big boss man now.

Fixed it.