This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDentist101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I currently go to a CSU and I have an overall gpa of about 3.8 and a science gpa of about 3.65 ... I haven't taken the DAT yet but I am planning on applying to dental school next cycle. I have about 400 hours of shadowing/interning at a dental office.

I really want to get into UCLA (wishful thinking, ha), Western Health in Pomona (more realistic), or LLU.

Also, the only thing that worried me about USC was the PBL learning style.... If anyone goes there can you please let me know how you like it?

Schools are getting more and more competitive and I just don't know what my chances will be. I feel like I'm pretty average at this point so I might need to do a masters or something but I really don't want to do that. What are my chances of getting in? What else can I do ?

Side note: realistically speaking I'll probably get 20 or 21 on my DAT ( although of course I'd aim for higher)

Sincerely,

Stressed

Members don't see this ad.

PS: the only schools I'm pretty interested in are CA schools and Washington.. So those are the stats I've been looking at

I also have a part time job... But I don't think that would make much a difference for admin because it's not dental related

Your GPA is above average. Shoot for a 21+ on the DAT and submit your application on the first day of the cycle next June and you will have a great chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is above average. Shoot for a 21+ on the DAT and submit your application on the first day of the cycle next June and you will have a great chance.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to reply! May I ask you how long you studied/prepared for the DAT?

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to reply! May I ask you how long you studied/prepared for the DAT?

Sure I spent 6 weeks and I used Chad's Videos as well as DAT Destroyer. You will see lots of very high scores on the SDN boards (23+) and it is easy to assume that these scores are what everyone gets but that is not the case. That being said, you need to get a 20 AA/20 PAT to really differentiate yourself from the majority of test takers. Therefore if you can manage a 21/21 your DAT scores will be one part of your application that will be a positive and you won't have to worry about at all.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user