Pre-Dental, Pre-Med: Which is Easier? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing fairly well (probably graduate with between 3.3 and 3.5) and medical school is so unrealistic in its expectations. I know a couple of dentists and I've never shadowed before but I always love going to get my teeth cleaned/going to the dentist's office and I'm really happy that I know that this is what I want to do.

I'm majoring in Physics here at Lake Forest College and doing a double-degree with Mechanical Engineering at Washington University in St. Louis. I don't know why I'm doing either physics or mechanical engineering it's what my dad wants me to do and I love Chemistry but my dad says everyone majors in it (correction dad: that's Biology.) Would I be fine with a 3.3 or 3.4 and decent DAT scores with a major in Chemistry? I know I wouldn't be for medical school. :laugh: Plus everyone is a whole lot cooler on this forum. Pre-meds are pretty uptight!

Members don't see this ad.

The higher the GPA the better. The best thing to do is aim high and miss a little low. I think a 3.3 to 3.4 is fine, but it's average. You're in the middle of the pack. Try to distinguish yourself to the Adcoms by having stellar grades and it will go a long way for you when it comes time to apply.

predent1986 said:
I'm doing fairly well (probably graduate with between 3.3 and 3.5) and medical school is so unrealistic in its expectations. I know a couple of dentists and I've never shadowed before but I always love going to get my teeth cleaned/going to the dentist's office and I'm really happy that I know that this is what I want to do.

I'm majoring in Physics here at Lake Forest College and doing a double-degree with Mechanical Engineering at Washington University in St. Louis. I don't know why I'm doing either physics or mechanical engineering it's what my dad wants me to do and I love Chemistry but my dad says everyone majors in it (correction dad: that's Biology.) Would I be fine with a 3.3 or 3.4 and decent DAT scores with a major in Chemistry? I know I wouldn't be for medical school. :laugh: Plus everyone is a whole lot cooler on this forum. Pre-meds are pretty uptight!

Not so fast there buddy... a 3.3-3.4ish GPA is fine for Osteopathic Medical Schools (assuming you do decent *24ish* on the MCAT).

As for us being cooler... :thumbup: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, if med school is your dream don't count yourself out because of a few tenths of a point on your gpa. You still have lots of time to study like crazy for the MCAT and get a great score (which could really set you apart) or do research, or other productive/unique extra curriculars. Think about what you really want to do. Also, graduating with a degree in Physics has a little bit higher degree of difficulty (which may be taken into account by aadcoms).

D.O medical schools are more in your GPA range right now. I have two friends currently going to the DO school in Kansas City and they love it! Something you may want to consider. There are some differences between DO and MD, but most are minor when it comes to the scope of practice. There are tons of DO's in the hospital I work at.

Thanks Yeah. I've always been afraid of DO schools though because sometimes people might question the degree or that it would be better to have an MD instead.

what is your motive for life? Is it to find the easiest route... there's plenty of easier and cheaper options out there.... Really think about what would make you happy cuz if you think the life of a dentist is all fun and games... you have something coming... if you think the commitment is less... not by much... If you want to be sucessful in life... you can't be afraid of hard work... so to answer your question 'which is easier...???' neither... they're both tough to get through!

We both have to take the same classes, but you have to have a higher GPA to get into med schools. The MCAT is also much harder than the DAT (including the PAT).

predent1986 said:
Thanks Yeah. I've always been afraid of DO schools though because sometimes people might question the degree or that it would be better to have an MD instead.

Is DO degree that bad?

LOL!

Pre-Med is much, much, easier, of course.

Yep, pre-med is way easier then pre-dent!
All you got to do is hit low 30s on mcat and 3.6 as your undergrad GPA :smuggrin:

predent1986 said:

Who cares if they question your degree. DOs are just as much "physician" as MDs are. Do what you love, love what you do. Good luck deciding :luck:.

Pre-meds can always dip and head to foreign medical schools, and then return for residency. Thus, in my opinion, pre-meds have much more opportunities to get that MD. :thumbup:

For us pre-dents, heading overseas to get a DDS (or equivalent), and then returning, is too risky and not worth it. :thumbdown:

Hildergard said:
Is DO degree that bad?

Depends on the D.O. that you ask. I have met some that are really bitter about being mistaken for a chiropractor, having to explain, in detail, to an insurance adjuster that, yes, they have the power to perscribe medication and admit patients, and being mistaken for some sort of bone doctor. Then there are those that really enjoy it and value the training they had. D.O.'s have a longer tradition on the east coast and in the mid-west so people there are much more 'educated' about them. Most of the confusion seems to come from the west coast in that a lot of people from that area don't have experience with a D.O. and aren't versed in what the degree really is and entails. Nowdays both an M.D. and a D.O. are almost the exact same thing: there are just a few key differences in training and how they approach the subject of the human body. Sort of like Mercury and Ford brand cars if you will. So no, in my opinion, a D.O. degree is not bad at all.

boogaking said:
what is your motive for life? Is it to find the easiest route... there's plenty of easier and cheaper options out there.... Really think about what would make you happy cuz if you think the life of a dentist is all fun and games... you have something coming... if you think the commitment is less... not by much... If you want to be sucessful in life... you can't be afraid of hard work... so to answer your question 'which is easier...???' neither... they're both tough to get through!

Name some easier and cheaper options! (Well I could think of some cheaper ones...) How about optometry?

Pre-dent and pre-med are equally easy, if you live in Germany. :p

If you want to become a dentist or doctor, no single school can reject you. It's the government's law. :cool: Oh, well, that's in Germany.

the big wand said:
Pre-dent and pre-med are equally easy, if you live in Germany. :p

If you want to become a dentist or doctor, no single school can reject you. It's the government's law. :cool: Oh, well, that's in Germany.

Wow, I have never heard of that :eek:. Perhaps, I should consider going to Germany instead :rolleyes:

There will be too many dentists....which can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. :p

If you decide to come back to North America to practice, maybe you have to repeat your 3rd and 4th year. It's a foreign degree after all.....

Hildergard said:
Wow, I have never heard of that :eek:. Perhaps, I should consider going to Germany instead :rolleyes:

My cousin whos a md in england told me that they produce too many dentists in germany and many come to england for work, and too many doctors in the uk and many go to germany for work.
:cool:

big wand failed to mention that German students take a national exam at the end of their secondary schooling. It is a very competitive exam and the outcomes determine the students' fate for life as to whether they get to go to college or trade school. Japan has a similar system. Slogging through secondary school is the tough part. Getting into college is the reward for all the hard work and becomes the time that the students get to kick back and goof off.