Pre-dental Postbacc Timeline advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocomaca

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone!

I need some advice as I am trying to plan out my timeline. Any advice would be appreciated!

*GPA calculation
How are the GPAs calculated? I kind of have a complicated situation with my GPA because I have GPAs from three different institutions. I wasn't originally thinking to pursue dentistry...

I have a poor GPA from my first BA in Public Policy: 2.72
then, I got my masters in Public Health and got 3.71
I've started my post bacc program in the summer because I am lacking many of the science courses. So far, my gpa is 3.73.

Would they sum up all three of my school GPA's? or separate out the science courses from postbaccs and BA?

*LOR
Will it be okay for me to ask for LOR from a professor who's taking a sabbath? She taught two of the chemistry courses over the summer and now she's in her sabbath year. Since I am new to this school, I don't have many professors I've taken courses with. I've gotten both A's in her courses and she knows me by my name.

* DAT timeline
I first thought that I should take all my prerequisites to take my DAT, but by reading the old threads, it's okay to take the DAT before taking all the courses?

I've taken gen chem I, II, II over the summer, and right now I am taking ochem I, biology I and math. For the next two quarters, I will be taking rest of the biology and organic chem sequences with lab, and I wasn't sure when I should try to plan to take my DAT? I still need to take physics sequences and Human Anatomy and Physiology in Fall 2018-19.

My guess is that I should e-submit the application in May 2018, take the DAT that summer and send the scores in.Does this sound correct/doable?

I'll appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

See answers in line below.

Good Evening Everyone!

I need some advice as I am trying to plan out my timeline. Any advice would be appreciated!

*GPA calculation
How are the GPAs calculated? I kind of have a complicated situation with my GPA because I have GPAs from three different institutions. I wasn't originally thinking to pursue dentistry...

I've started my post bacc program in the summer because I am lacking many of the science courses. So far, my gpa is 3.73.

Would they sum up all three of my school GPA's? or separate out the science courses from postbaccs and BA?

The AADSAS calculates different GPA's but the most important are your science GPA which is an average of any biology, physics, or chemistry classes you have taken and your overall GPA which is an average of every class you've taken.

*LOR
Will it be okay for me to ask for LOR from a professor who's taking a sabbath? She taught two of the chemistry courses over the summer and now she's in her sabbath year. Since I am new to this school, I don't have many professors I've taken courses with. I've gotten both A's in her courses and she knows me by my name.

You'll need multiple letters of rec; 2 from professors (preferably science classes) and 1 from a dentist; some schools also require one from community service/volunteering that you've done.

* DAT timeline
I first thought that I should take all my prerequisites to take my DAT, but by reading the old threads, it's okay to take the DAT before taking all the courses?

I've taken gen chem I, II, II over the summer, and right now I am taking ochem I, biology I and math. For the next two quarters, I will be taking rest of the biology and organic chem sequences with lab, and I wasn't sure when I should try to plan to take my DAT? I still need to take physics sequences and Human Anatomy and Physiology in Fall 2018-19.

I would definitely try to take Anatomy and Physiology BEFORE you take the DAT since this content is on the biology section of the DAT. Physics is fine to take after you apply since there is no physics on the DAT.

My guess is that I should e-submit the application in May 2018, take the DAT that summer and send the scores in.Does this sound correct/doable?

I would NOT submit until you have your DAT scores. As a post-bacc with a low GPA, the DAT will make or break your application. Make sure you have a strong DAT (AA: 21+) score before you apply. You also want to apply as early as possible. The application opens 6/1 and I would take your DAT in May at the latest so you can submit your application as early in June as possible.

Last edited:
Good Evening Everyone!

*GPA calculation

*LOR

* DAT timeline

LOR-I had 2 science professors and 2 dentists write LOR’s for me. Usually 3 letters are required but I got the 4th for safety.

DAT- You don’t need to have the prerequisites before taking the test, just understand you might get 18-19 instead of 21 as a score. 19 isn’t bad (that’s what I have) but it’s not that great either. Physics isn’t on the test so those classes can be taken later.

The application process opens in June, and you can expect it to take about a month to get your transcripts received, posted and verified, LOR, and everything together. The DAT scores can be longer than anything else for ADEA to receive. It takes about 2 weeks for ADA to post them and then a few more weeks for ADEA to get them attached to your application. If you can you may want to take the DAT in late spring or early summer at the latest. The longer you wait to take it the later your application will be complete. Also you may want to take it early enough to have a chance to retake it (if needed). It can be taken again after 90 days, so keep that in mind.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I would highly recommend going to a post bac program because most admissions at dental schools view this very very positively. At the end it also makes you more marketable when you're applying to programs and will prepare you for the first couple years of school academically. Many of my classmates who did their post bac right after college came into dental school more mature and were able to do very very well in class.