pre-allo board sucks seeking wisdom here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derpz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with how checking several races is interpreted by admissions committees. I identify as Hispanic - Salvadoran, Asian - Filipino, & White

My mom is 1/2 Filipino and 1/2 Salvadoran, dad is white, I've always identified as mixed and feel comfortable with all groups and the different cultural environments. I spend considerable time playing soccer in local Mexican/Salvadoran soccer leagues, almost exclusively w/non native speakers of English. I've spent tons of time with family abroad in both cultures for summers at a time as a child...definitely identify with my mom's side of the family better than my dads...I speak broken Spanish & understand Tagalog, both of which I'd like to work on.

If I check off all 3 boxes how am I likely to be classified. I've had friends tell me I'm a fool for checking anything other than Hispanic - Salvadoran and getting the boost from that. I'm personally inclined to believe I'll get the same bump if I check all 3 as adcoms in their pursuit of projecting diverse classes will probably put me in that category anyways. Anyone know what happens when you check multiple boxes so far as the "URM boost"?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with how checking several races is interpreted by admissions committees. I identify as Hispanic - Salvadoran, Asian - Filipino, & White

My mom is 1/2 Filipino and 1/2 Salvadoran, dad is white, I've always identified as mixed and feel comfortable with all groups and the different cultural environments. I spend considerable time playing soccer in local Mexican/Salvadoran soccer leagues, almost exclusively w/non native speakers of English. I've spent tons of time with family abroad in both cultures for summers at a time as a child...definitely identify with my mom's side of the family better than my dads...I speak broken Spanish & understand Tagalog, both of which I'd like to work on.

If I check off all 3 boxes how am I likely to be classified. I've had friends tell me I'm a fool for checking anything other than Hispanic - Salvadoran and getting the boost from that. I'm personally inclined to believe I'll get the same bump if I check all 3 as adcoms in their pursuit of projecting diverse classes will probably put me in that category anyways. Anyone know what happens when you check multiple boxes so far as the "URM boost"?

I personally checked 4 boxes lol. As far as I can tell I was classified as URM, but truthfully you should just put how you identify and let the chips fall where they may. If you put Hispanic, chances are you will be considered Hispanic above everything else because it's an ethnicity rather than a race and they tend to consider it first. Most Hispanics put Hispanic then White.

I'm also mixed, and I checked more than one box. My father is mostly Hawaiian, but also part German, Spanish and Chinese. My mom is black, but also part Chinese and white and Native. (Even though it's offensive, I often refer to myself lovingly as a mutt. Key word: "lovingly")

I didn't check a million boxes on AMCAS, but I did check Native Hawaiian and black because I identified with those two ethnicities the strongest. (I was born in Hawaii, and I went to middle and high school in a black neighborhood in Detroit.)

I would check whatever makes you feel comfortable-- regardless of whether it's classified as URM. (Because chances are, you will be)