practicing in Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnotz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am first year D.O. student and this question is mainly for German med students or anybody else who has any relating information.
How can an American trained physician, M.D. or D.O., practice in Germany ?

I know that osteopathic manipulation as such in Germany is only practiced by naturopaths, or "Heilpraktiker".
That is not my question. I would like to know how an American D.O. can work in Germany in the full extend of his medical specialty equal to German trained MD's.
(Visa is not an issue)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not the answer but know how you canget the answer. As for the acceptability of the D.O. degree abroad, the AOA has a person/list with that info. As for practicing there with an M.D. and other related matters, you should contact the German embassy in your home nation and ask them for the contact info of the medical licensing board (Medical Authority, whatever it may be specifically called in Germany) in Germany. They should be able to provide you with all the info you need. Other posters may have the details at hand, but I know that, whatever the nation in question, this is a pretty much a sure-fire way to get the info such as you are seeking. Best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Germany is a fine country. To be able to work there, you may have to work through some challenges though, compared to almost any other country in the world. Doctors in Germany currently have a large over-surplus (though likely not with your special skillset). You are well-positioned if you do not have a visa issue, as immigration into Germany has been set close to nil for the last few years, partly due to the mass influx when the Eastern bloc was opened. Your best bet though, is to ask the people directly involved as Stephen and gower have helped you with, as this is only experience from my time in Germany, nothing more. Also, I am sure if you are a strong candidate with good skills, people will go out of their way to bring you aboard -- roo

[This message has been edited by roo (edited 02-26-2001).]

Thanks for the replies. I am bilingual and also have dual residency status(American and German), so neither language nor visa is an issue for me. I have already done a great deal of research on the question of being able to provide licensed medical care as an American trained physician in Germany. Unfortunately, I have encountered a lot of conflicting information, some saying it's no problem, some saying I would have to take the German board exams. I don't believe the latter to be true. I have also been told that regulations in this area are undergoing constant change and that things could be very different, probably more liberal, one or two years from now.

Gnotz,
If your goal is to live in Germany one way you could do it is to work with the Department of Defense as a civilian contractor. When I was living in Germany we had quite a few civilian doctors that worked in our clinics. Of course you would be working with only soldiers and airmen but you would be living in Germany and you wouldn't have to take any extra exams.