Practicing in Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KWBum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as I was browsing this forum, I saw that someone mentioned this interesting tid-bit: That to get a medical license in Fla, you must have completed a transitional year or rotating internship.

Is this true? :eek:

Or is is it true sort of by default? That is, from what I gather, in most residencies, you spend your first year rotating.

Even in psych. (Which is where I'm headed.)

Any ideas on this? Specifically? Or where can I look up the details?

Thanks!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

KWBum said:
So, as I was browsing this forum, I saw that someone mentioned this interesting tid-bit: That to get a medical license in Fla, you must have completed a transitional year or rotating internship.

Is this true? :eek:

Or is is it true sort of by default? That is, from what I gather, in most residencies, you spend your first year rotating.

Even in psych. (Which is where I'm headed.)

Any ideas on this? Specifically? Or where can I look up the details?

Thanks!! :laugh:

the first year of a psych residency is a rotating internship. u rotrate thru medicine, neurology, and psychiatry.

Hm.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I read that you need a separate, rotating, transitional year...BEFORE you start the residency.

Discrete from the PGY-1.

That would be terrible!

:eek:

if a transitional year is required to practice in the state of florida, how does that state have any internal medicine docs, pediatricians, ob/gyns, family medicine docs, psychiatrists, EM docs, or pathologists working there? are u telling me they all did transitional years, despite not being required to do so for their respective specialties? i find that hard to believe.

This is true for DO's, although there are individuals who have gotten around this by having their intern count as the osteopathic rotating internship.

I suppose that I forgot to mention that this is an alleged requirement for FMGs/IMGs (which I am (USFMG)...or, more accurately, will soon be.).

And, apparently, DOs (which I wanted to be!).

Fla requires proof of pre-med courses, and it is not entirely clear from the Department of Health website...but they may actually want post-bac pre-med courses (which I have...but which would be a totally absurd requirement).

So I would not be totally surprised by other wacky requirements.