"Practice Pathway" Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Popoff Valve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm starting my second year of Anesthesiology residency, and I am interested in Palliative care. My question is as follows : If I do a lot of "moonlighting" with a local Hospice/Palliative care team and some conferences/online courses over the next 3 years, do you think I can meet the "grandfather clause" and get board-certified in 2012? I will finish residency in July 2012 and that happens to be the last year of grandfathering.

I posted the requirements below, but I was wondering if any of you thought that I might NOT be eligible since all of my palliative care experience will be during residency. Thanks for your input.

"Requires that the Diplomate demonstrate having spent at least 800 hours clinical involvement in
subspecialty-level practice of hospice and palliative medicine during the last five years prior to application
for examination, including:

��
at least two years of sub-specialty level practice in hospice and palliative medicine
��

at least 100 hours of participation with a hospice or palliative care team* and
��

participation in the active care of at least 50 terminally ill patients or patients requiring palliative
care (only 25 required for pediatrics)"

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry,

I don't think you can grandfather in as a resident. You have to be an independent practicing licensed physician who is not in residency.

Even if you could, would your program director allow you to dedicate such a massive amount of time to this?