Practice DAT vs. Real DAT - I've got a few questions concerning time and length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organichemistry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I took a practice DAT that Kaplan sponsored in order to advertise their course. In any event, the test was not full length (science was... 100 questions/90 minutes) but the other sections were not.

On the Perceptual Ability section there were 30 questions, and we got 20 minutes to complete it. There was no way I could finish it, but from what I gather, I likely won't finish it on the real thing either. I do the parts I think I can do first (angle ranking, hole punching, cube counting) and then just pretty much guess on the other sections since I had no time.

The quantitiative reasoning part really threw me through a loop. I scored a 750 on the SAT math, and 35 on the ACT math. I've always had a knack for it... but there were 2 questions that took me about 3 or 4 minutes each and before I knew it, time was out before I finished. I think I would have been fine if I hadn't gotten stuck on them. So really, I'm not too worried about this (I just hope it doesn't happen on test day!)

But really, the reading test scared me the most. We got 30 minutes to do it, and it was 2 passages with 17 questions each. How long is the real reading section, how many passages are there, and how many total questions are there? I totally freaked when I saw both of the passages and could not focus on either one at all. I ended up just skimming them both and answering a few questions from each and then guessing on the rest. I probably only got answers for 12-15 of the 34 questions and guessed on about 20. Yikes.

So basically I want to know is the real reading section just like that, except like twice as long? I fear I might be in real trouble if this is the case. 15 minutes for a long passage and 17 questions seemed pretty tough for me.

Members don't see this ad.

organichemistry said:
Yesterday morning I took a practice DAT that Kaplan sponsored in order to advertise their course. In any event, the test was not full length (science was... 100 questions/90 minutes) but the other sections were not.

On the Perceptual Ability section there were 30 questions, and we got 20 minutes to complete it. There was no way I could finish it, but from what I gather, I likely won't finish it on the real thing either. I do the parts I think I can do first (angle ranking, hole punching, cube counting) and then just pretty much guess on the other sections since I had no time.

The quantitiative reasoning part really threw me through a loop. I scored a 750 on the SAT math, and 35 on the ACT math. I've always had a knack for it... but there were 2 questions that took me about 3 or 4 minutes each and before I knew it, time was out before I finished. I think I would have been fine if I hadn't gotten stuck on them. So really, I'm not too worried about this (I just hope it doesn't happen on test day!)

But really, the reading test scared me the most. We got 30 minutes to do it, and it was 2 passages with 17 questions each. How long is the real reading section, how many passages are there, and how many total questions are there? I totally freaked when I saw both of the passages and could not focus on either one at all. I ended up just skimming them both and answering a few questions from each and then guessing on the rest. I probably only got answers for 12-15 of the 34 questions and guessed on about 20. Yikes.

So basically I want to know is the real reading section just like that, except like twice as long? I fear I might be in real trouble if this is the case. 15 minutes for a long passage and 17 questions seemed pretty tough for me.

The real DAT is not as bad as most people think. Sure, it takes work and therefore requires effort, but anyone can score above a 20 if you study hard. Just use Kaplan lesson book for the prep and know it inside-out. Moreover, I dont believe the practice tests can really gauge how well you will do on the actual exam. So, just use those practice exams as more of a way to know where your weaknesses lie. I prefer topscore to prep me for the testing environment. Also, be ready to have NO LIFE during the summer. I really mean no life, because you will be STUDYING like no tomorrow. I definitely was stressed out, but then again I am blessed with a wonderful and supporting family.

Good luck,
Rich

you will get better as you study. the first kaplan practice test, i probably finished 50% of the questions. i had no idea what the rules were on the PAT portion of the exam. needless to say i did badly, but it was nice to see what the exam was like since it was the first time i'd ever taken a practice exam.

Heres my opinion of the Kaplan DAT vs the Real DAT

-Bio (Real DAT harder)
-Gchem (Kaplan harder)
-Ochem (Kaplan harder)
-PAT (Real DAT is way harder, Kaplan's is a joke)
-Reading Comp (about the same or I'm too stupid to notice a difference)
-Quant (Kaplan harder)

The PAT seems impossible at first but once you start practicing and get used to it, you'll find it very manageable.