Practical organization tips/tricks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverikk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a resident going into my PGY3 where we do a 50 bed, high turnover SICU (fast tracked heart patients, people who just a need little watching/pulm hygiene or drips for 3 days) with about 10-15 long stays. My question: How do you keep organized, I will be the on night float with an intern (from varied specialities, and it's August) who will do admissions and the regular surgical team as back up if I need. I'm looking for practical tips, I thought about keeping a little paper notebook with big issues, lines and meds but it seems like it would rapidly get disorganized and I wouldn't be able to keep organized. Thought about using evernote with a different note for each room, I only really need the big picture for each one. What do you use?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I'm a resident going into my PGY3 where we do a 50 bed, high turnover SICU (fast tracked heart patients, people who just a need little watching/pulm hygiene or drips for 3 days) with about 10-15 long stays. My question: How do you keep organized, I will be the on night float with an intern (from varied specialities, and it's August) who will do admissions and the regular surgical team as back up if I need. I'm looking for practical tips, I thought about keeping a little paper notebook with big issues, lines and meds but it seems like it would rapidly get disorganized and I wouldn't be able to keep organized. Thought about using evernote with a different note for each room, I only really need the big picture for each one. What do you use?

What system did you end up using to see the big picture, and how did it go? I'm an EM intern just starting my MICU rotation, and I'm getting my butt kicked trying to keep track of the important data and issues for even 5 pts. Probably doesn't help that our unit still uses paper to log just about everything.