ppsych/neuro residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs offer psych and neuro training? Are they longer residencies? I have heard of these programs, but have not heard much about them.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head...Indiana, Tulane, and West Virginia offer it I believe. I think there are 12 total...check on FREIDA. They list them for you.

It's six years total of training. I'm sure the break-up of months varies on where you go. I'm an Indiana right now and one of the residents in the program told me he originally went into it thinking he would open up a private practice in a smaller town and do both. But now he wants to stay in the city and will probably practice one or the other.

I'm sure this didn't help you very much...but that's what I know.

NYU has a combined psych/neuro program that is, I think, 5 years.
I think there is a listing of combined psych/neuro programs on
Frieda (on the www.ama-assn.org website under medical education)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious as to how much overlap there is between neuro and psych? With chronic, debilitating neuro illnesses, I am sure that they will have some depression or other mental illnesses. However, I just don't see the overlap there when compared to family med or internal medicine where, say, chest pain can be secondary to heart problem or anxiety disorder, and many primary care docs are "under"diagnosing psychiatric illnesses (neurologists aren't exactly primary care).

combined psych/neuro programs: U of AZ, U of Miami, Indiana U, Tulane, U of Mass, NYU, Brown, West Virginia U.

you'd do a TY/prelim type of PGY1, and then 5 years for the officially sanctioned combined programs.

regarding combined programs: I had the pleasure to speak w/ Dr. Jeffery Cummings from UCLA (considered by many to be 'the godfather' of neuropsychiatry in the US). I asked him what he thought of the combined psych/neuro path, surprisingly enough he advised to do one or the other and then to subspecialize.
You can go psychiatry and then a 1-2 year fellowship in neuropsychiatry, or adult neurology and then a 1-2 year fellowship in behavioral/cognitive neurology. looks like you're looking at 6-7 years after medical school for the combined programs, the same or more than doing one or the other + 2 years of fellowship.

below is a link to the ABPN's website re certification for combined programs/residents:
http://www.abpn.com/certification/faqneurology.html#dual

as far as overlap b/w the two: i've heard estimates that ~40-50% of general adult neurology patients have psychiatric comorbidities. it's prolly true that many neurologists miss many of these diagnoses or are uncomfortable in addressing them. but neurologists and psychiatrists have fundamentally different approaches to patients and different skill sets, and with the huge growth in each field it'd be *very* hard to be excellent in both. the much ballyhooed notion of the convergence of these fields doesn't hold up to scrutiny in my mind: most of neurology is based on internal medicine principles of diagnosis and therapy of "organic" disease, while it seems that the fundamental principle of most of psychiatry is to exclude "organic" disease [not to say that psych disease is not biologically based]. also, the personalities that each field attracts seem to be quite different (or maybe it's the docs i've been exposed to).