PPS for PGY1- worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stinkertoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got this from 9/2008 regarding pps for PGY1:

"If you are looking for a PGY-1 residency, the PPS would not be a good use of your time and money. All the residency programs will be represented at the Residency Showcase, the purpose of which is to introduce the programs to the potential applicants. The purpose of the PPS, on the other hand, is to provide a venue for people interested in interviewing on-site with participating programs. For a fellowship seekers it is a must, for a job seeker it may or may not be productive, and for a residency seeker generally not worth the investment.

What I would suggest, is NOT registering now, and waiting until you get there. Get your hands onto the booklet, and if you are interested in specific programs (especially after the showcase) and you see that they are interviewing at PPS, then you can register onsite."

does anyone know if this still applies, and PPS is more useful for PGY-2?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do PPS for PGY-1. But I am doing it this year as I look for PGY-2 and jobs. Some ofmy PGY-2 programs don't participate in it though, so I am still doing the residency showcase as well.

I wasn't going to sign up for PPS but after e-mailing some of the program directors I feel the need to. One director specifically asked me to sign up for PPS so I feel like several other directors may encourage it. Sucks to pay $105 or whatever it is though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't going to sign up for PPS but after e-mailing some of the program directors I feel the need to. One director specifically asked me to sign up for PPS so I feel like several other directors may encourage it. Sucks to pay $105 or whatever it is though...

same thing as me... some of them told me to do pps... hey wildcat just curious, whats MPA?!

oh yeah, and the whole posting a resume thing on there absolutely blows

same thing as me... some of them told me to do pps... hey wildcat just curious, whats MPA?!

oh yeah, and the whole posting a resume thing on there absolutely blows

Its a masters in public administration, a dual degree program at our school. I actually dropped that I need to change my sig. I still haven't signed up for PPS can't I just do that right before?

i got this from 9/2008 regarding pps for PGY1:

"If you are looking for a PGY-1 residency, the PPS would not be a good use of your time and money. All the residency programs will be represented at the Residency Showcase, the purpose of which is to introduce the programs to the potential applicants. The purpose of the PPS, on the other hand, is to provide a venue for people interested in interviewing on-site with participating programs. For a fellowship seekers it is a must, for a job seeker it may or may not be productive, and for a residency seeker generally not worth the investment.

What I would suggest, is NOT registering now, and waiting until you get there. Get your hands onto the booklet, and if you are interested in specific programs (especially after the showcase) and you see that they are interviewing at PPS, then you can register onsite."

does anyone know if this still applies, and PPS is more useful for PGY-2?

Thank you!

PPS for PGY-1 is, in my humble opinion, a big waste of time and money. I did it and didn't get much out of it. I've heard it's important if you're looking for a PGY-2, however. (I am NOT looking for a PGY-2, so take this with a grain of salt.)

i set up for some residency interviews...but where are these interviews located? at their booth? they told me the time but not the location