PPE from photos of other countries looks MUCH safer, WHY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Looking at photos posted recently of places like Spain, China, and Italy show their medical teams in protective gear I've never seen. It looks much more protective than the gear I'm accustomed to seeing at our hospitals here in the US. Why don't we have better protective gear, or conversely, why are they so "overprotected"?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at photos posted recently of places like Spain, China, and Italy show their medical teams in protective gear I've never seen. It looks much more protective than the gear I'm accustomed to seeing at our hospitals here in the US. Why don't we have better protective gear, or conversely, why are they so "overprotected"?
Because their hospitals are led by doctors and ours by bean counters. Because they are physicians and we are providers. Because they are unionized and we are not. Because they have Merkel and we have Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You seeing cases? What kind of PPE are you wearing if so?

it doenst matter at this point if ur seeing cases or not? people are infectious before they show symptoms and with the kind of "ppe" our ER staff members are provided with, i see every Er personnel as a covid ruleout at this point.

also since alot of things are up in the air about covid (seewutididthar) i prefer to error on the side of being overprotective when it comes to my personal safety and that of my loved ones...

Reactions: 1 user
In the case of my facility, everything we try to order is on backorder from multiple distributors N95s, gowns, face shields, gloves, and hand sanitizer.

Some from my department have starting using personal p100 half face respirators instead of the re-pocessed disposable n95s especially with our ballooning caseload causing near continuous exposure to patients not in negative pressure rooms on nippv/hhf and vents the entire shift. Not sure if others are doing the same but I sure as he'll don't blame them. Not sure why these aren't being used at scale over the n95s to begin with aside from cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Some from my department have starting using personal p100 half face respirators instead of the re-pocessed disposable n95s especially with our ballooning caseload causing near continuous exposure to patients not in negative pressure rooms on nippv/hhf and vents the entire shift. Not sure if others are doing the same but I sure as he'll don't blame them. Not sure why these aren't being used at scale over the n95s to begin with aside from cost.

They are now just as hard to find as N95. found one on amazon about 6 weeks ago. you might get lucky at home depot or lowes, possibly eBay. don't forget the filters